Global Warming

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Oct 12, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

eric, run this experiment: Get two ant-acid tablets. Fill a small tub with water. Fill a beaker or jar with water to the brim. Put a lid/cover on it, and quickly flip it upside down and submerge the end of it in the tub. Remove cover, the water in the glass should stay in place and there should be no bubbles. Now get another beaker (or jar, whatever) and make a plastic wrap lid around it with a long tube or straw coming out. Helps if it is flexible. The straw must be able to reach under the water and to the mouth of the glass you have upside down in the tub. Drop two ant-acid tablets into the second beaker/jar with some water and secure the lid. You should see bubbles coming from the end of the straw and into your upside down container. Those bubble will displace the water and fill the container with gas. You may have to add more tablets as you go.

Once the water has all been pushed out of the upside down container, slide a lid or cover over it and immediately flip it over. Leave the cover/lid on. You now have a jar of CO2. Get a second identical beaker/jar to that one, and set them both under a utility lamp or even out in the sun. Be sure they are both getting equal amounts and resting on the same surface. Now, monitor their temperature. Which one heats up faster, the one with air or the one with CO2?

CO2 is a greenhouse gas. The source you quoted was started in 2010 by a group of people who all wrote "Slaying of the Sky Dragon: Death of the Greenhouse Gas Theory." I just told you how to test their claims. Give it a shot.

If the Greenhouse gas effect wasn't real, as they claim, we would not be here.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

TennT said you were full of shit. I was just reveling in it.

That's the guy you want to fight.

3. Tenacious D

I enjoy regular sex with women, hence, I don't know a single "climate scientist".

4. Tenacious D

Your statement, as written, is invalid, as it contains the following fallacious elements:

1. Argumentum ad populum ("appeal to people" or popularity)

2. Argumentum ad auctoritatem (appeal to authority)

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't be a hypocrite. Trotting out the guy was an appeal to authority, I responded in kind. You can't have it both ways.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

He said nothing of the kind. I'm happy to discuss climate sensitivity and the implications. But I am not going to do that under the faulty premises being laid out.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Great fight between scientist as to who is right and who is wrong here.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ouch

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

ben's a scientist?

10. Oldvol75

With those words, Tenny has just crushed NYY.

11. Oldvol75

Scientist are own both sides of this issue, and the winner is.............................

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

97 % are on once side...

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought you were married?

14. Oldvol75

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really. I can't believe you take those pieces as news. The folks that were complaining were counted as the 66 % of papers that did not make a direct statement on the issue. And this is something that has been found by multiple studies. Do the leg work. Don't just take what these guys are saying at face value. There is a lot of money at stake for you to keep doubting.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus#ft1

16. Oldvol75

And there in lies the problem with the whole thing, who ever does not shout the loudest, looses money.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't have any money to lose.

18. Tenacious D

Who in the hell are you to tell me how many ways I can have it?

And my refusal to point out the logical fallacies of his argument is neither proof of their absence nor intended to be indicative my consenting to the overall validity of his argument.

You erroneously believe that I have some compulsion or responsibility to fight fair.

And, for those scoring at home, your quoted post contains its own logical fallacy - two wrongs.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Things are going to get boring over here if we start pointing out every fallacy. But alright.

20. Tenacious D

1. TennTra is the smartest science-type on this board.
    2. Clearly, TennTra said you were full of shit (see my earlier quoted post).

Conclusion: You're full of shit.

If you disagree, then challenge TennTra in a scientific slap fight and see how that turns out.