GOP's "Splitter Strategy" Failed, Backfires

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 4, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The breathless and exasperated responses to Trump from the traditional conservative powers makes me kind of like him.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I honestly don't think that you're alone, IP. Now, does it translate perfectly to votes? Probably not, but if he's anything less than stupid, racist and generally deplorable, then his "top of mind" strategy is working to make the turn.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's why I like him.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The main reason I like him is he is not Hilary Clinton or Ted Cruz.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That too

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

His only redeeming quality.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Negative. Business and financial acumen. Politician main function should be fiscal decision making.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i just hope he doesn't really believe this protectionist bullshit

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He has a point to some degree. That isn't remotely as problematic as stupidity about bottom up economics and such.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

unbalance trade agreements sure. saying nafta ruined this country and he repeal it is ridiculous

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agree. Let's make it expensive for countries to access our markets. That immediately makes our lazy and untrained workers more competitive. Life will be more expensive, but could ease some tax burden.

Downside is that we've never seen spend reduction. We reallocate for more votes and find new spends at every turn. It's almost like there is no disincentive to spending. Oh wait...

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that type of stuff always has unintended consequences. the type of jobs were are losing to mexico aren't the type we want to be keeping anyway.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and I think he's smart enough to understand all this, but just realizes it's something people want to hear.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Sure they are. We have just as many low skill low effort workers as anyone else. Ours just believe they are worth more money. They aren't.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they won't work for those wages though

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And that has to end. I'm for the starvation methodology, but that's probably going to be construed as bigoted and (insert liberal playbook silliness here).

We can level the playing field a bit with economi policy.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

One of your two sentences makes a better sound byte.

18. Tenacious D

What I know about financial matters / the economy, either in general and with any specificity, would struggle to match my knowledge of fishing.

That being said, I'm not willing to say that there aren't legitimate deficiencies in our current economy, or that there aren't areas where the middle / lower classes aren't fighting an increasingly uphill battle, and where their opportunities for advancement prove too infrequent and difficult to consistently take advantage of...and perhaps even unnecessarily and unfairly.

But I am also not willing to relent to any "solution" that provides temporary relief as a suitable substitute for better and longer term solutions to the problem of income inequality - such as simply placing more people on the government ***. The government has a responsibility to help it's people, but it has no business in subsidizing the perpetual lifestyle of those who can contribute a great deal more, to themselves and the county, but just prefer not to do so, instead.

19. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

The establishment of privilege in the present, in order to rectify privilege in the past, will serve only to perpetuate privilege in the future.

20. Tenacious D

I agree.

The entirely reasonable ground between "screw your hunger, infirmity, etc." and "everything should be free, and paid for by someone else who worked to earn more" is so expansive as to seem inevitable. And it boggles the imagination that it could be missed at all, short of a great and intended effort to do so.

But here we stand, as we seem to do every election cycle, watching both Parties and their candidates, each equally incapable of finding it. I think that you'd have to first admit that such middle-ground exists, desire to find it, and work to claim it.

So, we're only three steps away, as insurmountable as they seem to be.