Guns

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Or that there’s high capacity shotguns out there that would be way more effective in a school shooting.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Anything less is lip service.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

A pressure cooker filled with ball bearings is very deadly in a confined space.

It is very important to try and shift gun control conversations away from anything being singled out, that way "they gonna take yur gunz!" fear mongering still is effective. If shotguns are so broadly effective at dealing out death as to be superior to the AR, then why do ARs exist?

And this where the condescending "different purpose for different situations" posts come, ignoring the obvious contradiction of previously arguing shotguns are more deadly at close range and thus far deadlier and superior to an AR.

We go in circles. I get it, many of you do not want any restrictions. Others being open to them doesn't mean they are ignorant of firearms, they may just disagree. There isn't some esoteric factoid in the world about handguns, shotguns, or ARs that is going to make the obvious utility of an AR in shooting many bullets accurately, quickly, and reloading quickly go away. It's not because the other guns can't kill people, it's that the AR is a greater force multiplier-- that's why AR style weaponry was designed and exists.

And regulating particular gun technology already exists-- rightly or wrongly. Any argument regarding not being able to draw a line somewhere ignores that such lines are alreday drawn somewhere else.

I'm not playing dumb, this is just a dumb game. And it isn't one with a possible win. You can't have the population and society we have, with unrestricted access to a wide variety of weaponry and no public mental health infrastructure, and have anything other than what we have in terms of shootings. It's an obvious outcome, yet we seem to be accepting of it because no changes are made. We've tried nothing and are all out of ideas.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You failing to understand basic weaponry is a flaw of yourself, not the argument.

For everything anyone thinks is a worthwhile ban, there are equally as lethal, in the EXACT same circumstances that won't be banned.

Vegas had stand off distance, thus a rifle is necessary. If it had been a Mini-14, it wouldn't have mattered. So using it as a basis for banning something that wouldn't have mattered if something else was used is stupid.

There are circumstances where a shotgun would have produced more deaths. These are generally close quarters, where a handgun was involved.

And there are circumstances where a shotgun would prove just as deadly as any other weapon.

What exact benefit do you think you gain from banning ARs? That killers won't use the one they see on TV?

Because if you're looking for deadliness, the ban makes no difference. All you've done is trick people into killing with another, equally as deadly weapon.

bostonvol and Beechervol like this.
  5. fl0at_

There is no contradiction, except in your words. Shotguns are not BROADLY deadlier. They are awful at 300 yards. An AR is terrible at 1,000 yards. A .308 is great at 1,000 yards. Shotgun bad.

Up close and personal, a shotgun is more deadly because of the size of the impact (the slug), or the possibility of pellets hitting multiple vital organs, as opposed to just, with a single round.

You can take a shot to the head from any and still live, or take a round to the chest with either, and still die. But if I have to choose, I want the one that is going to leave the smaller hole, or require a lot more precision.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not condescending, it's how it works. You want to shoot something from a 100 yards, a rifle is what you use. I'm glad a psycho hasn't walked into a room and lit it up with 3-1/2 #2 shot. If they knew what the hell they were doing, that would kill a lot more people that way then with an AR. Semi automatic weapons with high capacity magazines have been around a long, long time.

I don't own an AR, don't care to and really don't care if they're banned, but it won't stop gun violence.

I'm all for mental healthcare, I'm also all for parents paying attention to what their kids watch and play.

Tenacious D likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Call of Duty factor. Nobody picks the shotgun.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

That you and float think I don't know that, is the condescending part. It's obvious, regarding range. That you guys pretend like a shotgun can be fired 30 times and reloaded repeatedly just as quickly by the crazy off the street as an AR is silly.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not to a lot of people

10. fl0at_

You’ve been given ample opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge, repeatedly choose not to.

It would be wrong for us to assume you know more than what you let on.

11. fl0at_

There is some truth to this. Not due to video games, but perception.

Shotguns are seen as clumy and slow. Ignore that this was the historical weapon of defense for stage coach drivers, ranch hands, and homes.

Now it’s gotta be the AR with the flash lights and the EOTech, that’s probably the worst suited weapon for the job.

There is a perception about shotguns that I hope continues on.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Exactly.

Its one of the more ignorant debates out there.

13. fl0at_

This is not true. There are plenty of ideas that can’t get traction because the fight is always about bans that are stupid.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Try reading more carefully.

You can't smugly claim shotguns are more deadly in a mass shooting situation and ignore that mass shootings differ in settings and ranges. Further, acting like the trigger pulls per minute of a shotgun and an AR can be equal for your average crazy is [uck fay]ing preposterous. Would a sane gun enthusiast set up a kill hall sweeper and come in decked out with 15 round magazines for his shotgun? Maybe. But one can pull an AR off the rack and load up on 30 round magazines a lot more quickly. You can then engage inside or outside, or from across the street.

It's very, very important to belittle and dismiss any perceived criticism of guns. No one knows anything but those who want full access and no changes made. Unfortunately, a side effect of being in a nation with the rich gun culture we have is that you sound like a [uck fay]ing tool when deciding people who were raised with guns and using guns must not know, anything about them since they disagree with your threat analysis of the ubergewehr that is the almighty shotgun. All about hole size up close.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Share some.

16. fl0at_

There have been a ton throughout.

Put more focus and funding in mental health, improve NICS, improve how information is passed among law enforcement organizations, grant adults who pass government established programs carry for self defense, improve how campuses are accessed by the public.

The problem is that it keeps becoming about the type of gun when that won’t make [uck fay] all difference.

Banning bump stocks won’t make a difference for mass shootings.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t an argument for it, it just doesn’t mean it should be made here, for this reason.

The same is true if ARs. It isn’t going to make a difference. That doesn’t mean there isn’t an argument to be made. Just not here.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Both Parkland HS and Pulse Night Club were protected by existing Laws.

kmf600 and Tenacious D like this.
  18. fl0at_

I am reading, but you aren't. Mass shootings have a statistical commonality. They are more likely to occur indoors, where the victims and the shooter are under 25 yards from each other, where the victims are more likely to be trapped, and where the entire shooting lasts many minutes.

How many shells do you think you can cycle through in 4 minutes? Ignore that you can cycle through more rounds in an AR, because ammunition is the limiting factor. You can't carry infinite ammo. Can you carry and fire more in 4 minutes? Sure. Why does that matter?

There aren't infinite victims. So can you cycle through your shotgun ammo, in the same time, for the number of victims that there are, and achieve as many casualties with a shotgun? Absolutely.

Can you achieve more indiscriminate shooting, requiring less precision and thus needling less skill with a shotgun compared to a rifle? Absolutely.

Does that mean that outliers, like Vegas, disprove anything? No. It just means Vegas is an outlier. A shotgun would not have been near as lethal in Vegas. But other rifles could have been.

I am not belittling or dismissing. I'm engaging and explaining.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Its hard not to ignore someone whining about "belittling", when said person tries daily to do it to others. Maybe its semantics. I never looked the word up as told.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You do know that a lot shotguns have the ability to have all the capacity of an AR and they fire at the same rate.

They make high capacity magazines for shotguns that will even fit an 870 pump.