Happy 4th of July/Dog Ownership/Breeders

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 4, 2016.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Agree. I had An Irish Setter from a line of field trial champs, and he would point birds with no training. A great dog even though he was high strung. Died from a twisted gut.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I agree with this. Breeding matters in hunting dogs. My current lab could never be trained to compare to the last one.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sure that is true, but I've never seen it.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Title changed to reflect the tangential nature of this thread.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Drunk with power.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

All it takes is some research.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Worked in a vet hospital for 5 years, was around breeding hounds for 16 (no overlap on those times). I'm not arguing with you. It just hasn't been my experience. I grant that I'm probably from poorer circles.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I hate to admit this, but I really like a poodle. They can be cut like a labradoodle (which I am convinced are for people that want a poodle but don't want to admit it ) so they don't look sissy. Friends have some and I may get one next time I get a dog. HArd to find a smarter and more obedient dog, and the lack of shedding is a huge bonus.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Schnauzers don't shed. But they bark. All. The. Time.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

yeah. I don't care about owning anything from the terrier group.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Standard poodles can be real, useful dogs. They can hunt, protect, find truffles. They get a bad rap because of bad haircuts, French names, and the worthless miniature version, IMO.

Airedales also have a lot of good qualities.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My jack russel mutt is extremely intelligent but he's an ass hole.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Schnauzer doesn't have a single bad habit a squirt gun can't break.

We have a mini and she took some work but she's almost perfect. They're actually a lot fun, smart, and love to go everywhere you go so they're great for travel. Plus I know a breeder in Knoxville with a legit resume if anybody wanted one.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Only a mini schnauzer is a terrier. Standar and giant are working dogs I think.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's got nothing to do with being poor. If you have a breeder with a strong resume showing (or training) dogs, chances are they're legit. And they probably have a good vet you can talk to as well.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I love poodles. No shame in it as they are hunting dogs. Don't get that stupid show cut and they are great animals.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My wife and I had a toy rat terrier. Best dog I've ever owned.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We have two white minis. White minis seem to be prone to all kinds of health issues, at least ours are. Lipomas, cataracts, allergies and dementia.

It has been tons of fun.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

My wife's purebred cockers had those type issues. Allergic to themselves. They make up for it by being a little dense.