"Heaven is real, IP is dumb," says neurosurgeon

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Oct 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If a mod wants to fix the title, they are more than welcome to do so.

EDIT: lol solid fix.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Dang, for a moment I though Indy was getting ballsy.

Just kpt, instead. (Excellent call-out though).

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In retrospect, I should have thought of that. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'll do better next time.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Daddy, won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County,
    down by the Green River where Paradise lay...

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The biggest down side of my position is I will never be able to say I told you so.

7. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

lol

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I laughed

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

You will. It just may take a while. Patience.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The biggest downside would be hell, I would guess.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I expected to open this thread to a scene of carnage not witnessed since Pickett raised the colors.

But I'm glad that we have settled the issue of whether or not heaven is real, as yes Indy, this dude is for real. I watched a documentary or news story about his experiences some time ago.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Far more believable than that poor kid who was brainwashed by his nutjob parents.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Assuming something like that exists. Nominally, I'm agnostic, but the doctor's description is more along the lines of what I imagine an afterlife would consists of were it to exist. I certainly don't think any religion we've conjured up here on earth has any basis in reality for beyond death, especially when one takes a close inspection of its components and the situations and environments which inspired such tales. An infinite void giving a sense of peace and acceptance? I can understand that. Burning bushes, dead men awaking three days later, talking snakes and prophets talking to angels of god in caves? Uh, no thanks.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Glad we could all finally come to agreement!

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

When you say you watched a documentary, why do I think of our bigfoot thread? Could you (or him) explain how the memory of these experiences exist in his brain, if his brain was completely shut down? Or does the soul over-ride brain function? As a man of science, I am sure he has pondered how his brain managed to store these memories he had while out of his brain. Further, why don't more heathens and unbelievers have negative death experiences? Why is it always former Christians or bad Christians with the negative ones? Why do non-Christians also report positive death experiences?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not really sure what he has proposed, but if just his neocortex was inactive, there is still some potential for memory formation.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not really sure what he has proposed, but if just his neocortex was inactive, there is still some potential for memory storage.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

So how does he know it wasn't some sort of hallucination or artifact of his illness? I was given the impression that this was some supernatural experience for him to have been able to experience anything. How does he know he just remembers it but not experienced it? I mean, his brain was swollen and diseased. But he's sure this was legit?

And still, if memory was being stored in his brain, how was his soul off on some ethereal plane?

Why are people able to accept this on face value? If a guy trips on acid or suffers some brain trauma, no one believes they actually experienced what they claim to.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Because, as with most religions, people seek to fit the narrative they've created or believe. It's working backward from a predetermined conclusion. A certain type of afterlife or post-death reality has already been assured in their minds and the stories of individuals like this neurosurgeon are formatted to conform to this idea.

The obvious counter to this is that you have your own predetermined constructs of death, but these are still rooted in things that we can discern ourselves through examinations of brain functions and other plausible realities. It doesn't rely upon created fantasies of pearly gates and some dude named Peter giving the yea or nay (Who did do this job before Peter, by the way?).

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

An well-respected expert in his field is offering an explanation for an unusual event. I'd think it that gives if some merit. I don't know how many are running to get baptized as a result of this. I don't really see enough details to fully grasp what is going on, but I'd have to think he has a pretty good idea.