Heistand interviewing w/Ohio State??????

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 12, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We had Simms at the beginning of the year in '10. We had to concentrate on the run more then. I think we schematically were relying on Bray's arm too much in '11 and didn't work enough on the run game.

Plus, we were very heavy on shotgun formations this year. That changes angles, timing, etc. It's more similar to a spread scheme than a Pro scheme. We don't have spread scheme linemen. Just my take.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think we were in the shotgun a lot because we couldn't run. I don't think we actually ran it out of the shotgun that much at all. I also think we ran the ball with Bray in the lineup last year more effectively than we did this year. I'm sure there are definitely schematic changes that need to be made, but that offensive line doesn't look well coached.

3. JayVols

You're right. It was a cluster on a major scale. I'm not a fan of zone blocking a sprint draw based run game. I would much rather fold block the sprint draw. Or perhaps G block it if you have a nimble guard. The only play that I don't mind zone blocking to be used on is the stretch. I'm more of a hat on a hat proponent over finesse when it comes to blocking schemes. Zoning everything tends to temper aggression and violence in an OL, imo.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

You clearly know much more about football schematics than I do, so I'll certainly defer to your evaluations here. But, yes, adjectives like violent or aggressive never come to mind when thinking of our offensive line. Adjectives like cluster[uck fay] or vaginitis do, however.

5. JayVols

Lol. I agree. I've played and coached a little ball in my time. And no, not rec league. I was a HS D coordinator for 15 years before health issues forced an early exit. Have a good one bro.

Oh yeah. You can combo block the sprint draw against some D fronts. The zone still sucks for that, imo.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The rush game would have been best served giving it to Fugate or Bartholomew on the fullback dive once they figured out they couldn't get it done traditionally. I'm not kidding. They tried that formation with Poole a few times against Bama to some success. We seemed to be outquicked all year, which made rushes to the edge almost impossible. But our backs weren't that big either, and second-level blocking was almost non-existent, so it made it impossible to run between the tackles too.

They should have put it someone's stomach as quickly as possible and ran between the center and guard until the other team put nine in the box. Then hit the pass. It isn't a winning strategy, but it reduces the propensity for three and outs and runs clock, something not very good teams need.

7. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Bet our o-line would play a lt harder if we had steak dinners ready for them post game when they win.....works for me

8. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Hopefully the for sale signs are in HH's yard by now....If he did interview, termination should be the immediate and adequate response.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You don't usually see an OL that averages around 330 lbs zone block well.

Tennessee had one of the biggest OL in the SEC and they were going the "finesse" route. Zone blocking works great with a back that can hit the cutback and go. I don't know if there is a RB on the roster that can pick his way and do that.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I really hate zone blocking schemes, for all of the reasons listed above. Would much rather my line line up and go downhill, and it seemed that when we actually did this we actually had a bit of success moving the ball on the ground.

What baffled me was our inability to ever adjust to become a more run-oriented team after Hunter and Bray went down. It wasn't as if we were facing 8 or 9 man fronts. We simply could not run against 6 or 7.

11. JayVols

Exactly. The NFL can zone block with 330 pounders because they are 330 and have the feet of a ballerina. That's why they are in the NFL. Add the fact that Poole couldn't hit a black hole much less a small crease, and we have no run game. The zone stretch depends on a back that can see a hole open anywhere on the line, playside or backside, quickly make the read, then make one cut to get up in that hole that's not going to be there very long. We don't have a back capable to do that, and apparently we don't have lineman that have the feet to scoop block the backside to possibly open up the backside holes. It's a perfect storm if your looking for a disaster.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You mean Tennessee doesn't have Joe Thomas or Jake Long on the OL?

13. JayVols

We have the same view on the run game. I want a bunch of O linemen that can look at the defense, tell them what gap the play is going, and still ram the ball down their throat. Gashing a defensive front consistently is about as demoralizing thing that can happen to a defense.

The lack of adjustment is what bothers me as well. It's insanity. The same plays with the same blocking schemes over and over with the same result. No excuse. Defensive fronts that were giving up 50-80 lbs/man were stopping our run game. That's a schematic problem. Quit trying to turn a dump truck into a sports car. Use the size advantage to bulldoze the smaller defense.

14. JayVols

Guys that big that can move with the speed and grace that they do, is the most amazing thing in football, imo. It's more impressive than a 5'8" RB that runs a 4.2 40. It goes against the laws of physics for those big uglies to do that. That's why elite OL get drafted early and often in the 1st round. It really amazes me what those guys can do.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's what the majority of so called "message board recruitniks" will never understand about the game. A mauling bear with ballerina feet is a rare find.

OL and DL are the most underappreciated aspects of any winning team

16. CardinalVol

It is downright comical to watch videos of the late 90s Tennessee teams compared to now. And then it's comical to watch the current Bama and LSU d-lines and how they are even better than those late 90s teams.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the only reason I don't think the "hat on hat" blocking would really work well for Tennessee right now.

18. CardinalVol

I see where you are coming from, but at the same time, zone blocking doesn't work if you are as big and slow as we were this year. I don't see why you have to choose to either be a great pass-blocking team or a great run-blocking team. It seems that we did that this year and then had no answer or ability to change after the crap hit the fan.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You do not. You can do one a little better than the other, but the drop off from pass blocking to run blocking is ridiculous.

20. CardinalVol

It would just seem, to me, that the Monday after Hunter went down you make the conscious decision that you are going to put a major emphasis on improving the run game to allow playaction to open up receivers downfield. I never saw that. It was if we never tried.

I don't know. I'm getting myself worked up again.