Heistand interviewing w/Ohio State??????

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 12, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Definitely an under appreciated endeavor.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

One of the things that troubled me the last 4 or 5 years of the Fulmer tenure was that he completely quit focusing on the big uglies. If you weren't a sexy skill position player, he had no time for you. You can point out several reasons why the 98 team won the title, but more of the credit should go to the guys up front than ever will. They totally dominated teams.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I love zone blocking. It's easy to teach and allows you to play under sized linemen. You can be out matched but control the LOS with cutting and pulling.

If I could recruit, I'd play man though.

4. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

True smash mouth UT run blocking hasn't been evident for a long time. It sure wasn't Tee Martin's passing ability that won the Arkansas game in 1998. After Ratliff recovered that fumble, Fulmer gave the Hogs a dose of Cheese and when Cheese was pounding the holes, the o-line was running behind closely to find someone else to blast. Henry was a beast that game and our line was a huge part of that.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I know Meyer has had great success, but I'm not sure what he's thinking if he hires Hiestand.

It's surprising enough he continues to put up with Drayton, but now he wants Hiestand?

6. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

whats wrong with Drayton?

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

What about his track record indicates he's good, or even competent, as a position coach?

He sucked in Florida twice, he was horrible in his year in Knoxville, and he did a horrible job with OSU's receivers this year.

8. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

the fact he ends up at places like this suggests there is something redeeming about the guy. I guess they think his flaws as a coach don't outweigh his ability to recruit

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think Meyer is just comfortable with the guy. I have little doubt Tressel just wanted someone with ties to Florida for recruiting.