Hey, Oregon...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Nov 16, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Del Rio better not have any punters chopping wood in the locker room

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He has said publicly that he hopes the next HC of USC keeps him on in some capacity. That was early on though, before there was talk of him having a modicum of a chance of actually keeping the position.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Would seem pretty insane to give Kiffin such a short leash this year and then just hand the program off to one of his assistants.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, when you put it like that it does sound asinine.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

people seem to forget that kiffin lost to WSU AT HOME, barely beat utah state AT HOME, and got blown out by a rather mediocre ASU team. Orgeron blew out Oregon State at oregon state (a place USC hasn't won at in over a decade) and beat Stanford.

To me this shows that the assistants weren't the problem. The man at the top was. Almost no one has said Kiffin assembled a bad staff btw.

Let's not forget that kiffin was hired primarily because he was bringing orgeron and other carroll assistants back to USC. the fanbase and haden are desperate to bring back the carrol era. they've already shown they'd rather try to keep that going rather than starting over. it wouldn't be surprising if they decided to do that again.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

But with Orgeron? I see him as a fantastic position coach and recruiter but probably not so much the head guy. There's nothing wrong with that at all ... I think it's a damn good trait to have. Know and maximize your strengths.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i suppose if they could find a coach willing to retain most of the assistants they would do that, but chances are the new guy will want a change of coaches and scheme. what's the downside of giving orgeron a year or two to see if he can keep it going? we know he will recruit well enough to leave the new guy with plenty of talent. USC fans stormed the field last sat for the first time in 8 years. haden practically jumped on orgeron postgame in happiness. if they beat UCLA the question will be why try to fix a clock that isn't broken? People don't get that USC isn't like other programs. They hire guys for fit for the culture, not the best guy available. it's actually ended up in some terrible hires, but that's the way the alumni want it. you know what i head over and over from alumni last sat? that kiffin would come to their events and stand in a corner surrounded by his people and not talk to them while pete carroll and orgeron come in and shake every person's hand. i guarantee you if kiffin did that he wouldn't have been fired after 5 games.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

So, they're going to give Orgeron the job because of a run that isn't half as impressive as the one Kiffin had down the stretch in '11? Makes perfect sense.

9. hatvol96

Utah State is better than most of the shitty PAC 12.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2011 isn't what got kiffin fired.

11. hatvol96

If Arizona State is "rather mediocre" what does that say about the PAC 12? Good to see you are accepting reality.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If those guys want to pick coaches based on the availability of handshakes then they deserve what they get.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

utah state lost to the shit of the pac 12. their best win is against san jose state and they are currently 6-4. i don't think even you believe that.

14. hatvol96

So? Hiring a coach because he won a couple of games in a shitty league at a place like USC is akin to hiring a guy with a losing record in the WAC and expecting him to win in the SEC.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've repeatably said the pac-12 has two good to great teams and a bunch of mediocre ones. saying the SEC isn't all that better isn't saying the pac-12 is great.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i agree 100%.

17. hatvol96

On a neutral field Utah State would beat at least seven of the 12 teams in that shitty league.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he won in corvallis something pete carrol and kiffin combined did once. you might want to look up USC's record against stanford of late as well.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they already lost to utah and USC. i'll give you that they'd beat cal and colorado, but who else?

20. hatvol96

Their combined losses to Utah and USC are by almost exactly the same margin as Stanford's defeats at the same places. The Cardinal seem to have little winning games in that league. Oregon is the only team Utah State would have no shot against on a neutral field.