Hogs Swing and Miss, Vols in Good Shape

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Nov 21, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

According to the source we spoke with today, Gruden and his agent are no longer asking for $50 million in guaranteed money over 10 years as had been widely speculated/reported in East Tennessee over the past few weeks. If true, perhaps Gruden is willing to give UT a “hometown” discount on account of his wife and in-laws. It’s also possible that the coach believes he could use his national celebrity to earn a good deal of cash over-and-above his Vol salary through national advertisements (he’s currently a pitch man for Hooters)....

Various ex-Volunteer players — most from the 1990s and the Peyton Manning era — are claiming that Gruden is now a lock for the Tennessee job. One of the sources we spoke with this morning wouldn’t go that far, but he did say that the ex-Buccaneers coach appears to be “intrigued” by the idea of trying his hand at the college game. According to the industry source, the coach is so interested in Tennessee that it might only take an offer in the area of $4 million per season to land him. “Only $4 million” is still ridiculous money and such a deal would still place Gruden behind only Urban Meyer ($4.3m at Ohio State), Bob Stoops ($4.5 m at Oklahoma), Mack Brown ($5.3m at Texas), and Nick Saban ($5.4m at Alabama) in terms of college football coaching salaries.

Multiple outlets have reported that Gruden has already spoken with a number of potential assistant coaches regarding a possible move to Tennessee. Popular rumors in the Volunteer State have tied him to current Duke defensive coordinator and D-line coach Marion Hobby as well as current Southern Cal receivers coach Tee Martin, both former Vol players.

Our industry source indicated that Gruden has spoken with at least one ex-head coach about joining his staff. That would make sense seeing as how the coach hasn’t been in the college ranks himself since an assistant coaching gig at Pittsburgh way back in 1991.

If you do the math on what ex-head coach might be on Gruden’s wish list, you’ll likely arrive at Ron Zook who was on the same Tennessee staff with Gruden under Johnny Majors in 1986.

The 58-year-old Zook has been a head coach at Florida and Illinois. He’s served as a defensive coordinator with Cincinnati, Kansas, Florida, and the New Orleans Saints. He also has a reputation for being a solid recruiter....

Hart is the wild card in this equation. Despite rumors that the Gruden is already hired by the Vols and Hart had no say in the matter, we’ve heard from multiple sources at UT and in the industry that he is indeed calling the shots on this one. And he’s keeping his cards clutched tightly to his chest.

Have Tennessee’s biggest boosters talked to Gruden, gauged his interest, and reported back to Hart? Yes. But Hart still has to a) decide to close the deal and b) actually close the deal if/when he decides to do so.

From what we at MrSEC.com have been told, there’s a feeling Hart would resign and throw Tennessee’s athletic department into even more of a mess should someone try to force his hand. He’s been hired to do a job and he wants to be allowed to do it. Makes sense.

But if Gruden is truly “intrigued” and — as one source told us today — “can be had, if UT wants him,” then Hart had better think long and hard before going in any other direction. In reality, a proven college coach might be a safer and more successful long-term hire than a pro coach. Especially a pro coach with a reputation for not liking NFL rookies and youngsters. But Volunteer fans have tabbed Gruden as their savior-to-be. Only Bob Stoops would trump Gruden in most fans’ eyes.

So Arkansas has taken its swing and missed. The ball is now reportedly sitting on a tee for Tennessee and waiting to be hit. If Hart chooses to walk away from Gruden Field and take a swing elsewhere, he’d better be sure he hits a home run. Otherwise, Tennessee’s biggest boosters will be looking for a new coach and a new AD the next time around.

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/11/as-the-gruden-turns-hogs-swing-and-miss-vols-on-deck/

2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Was that Pennington?

3. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I do not want Zook at all.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree. He stabbed us in our back.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Hobby is not at Duke.

6. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I thought the 8th was all about getting a new start?

7. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I could care less if Zook comes or not. I'll trust Gruden on his staff picking

8. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

Refresh my memory on the stabbing incident. I thought I wanted Zook to return, but you might change my mind.

9. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You'll love Zook again once you realize who he's pulling in.

11. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I had forgotten all about that. I remember I was mad when it happened. If Zook promised to be as devious on our behalf, can we forgive him?

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Here's what the plan should be:

1. Gruden decides who should be on his staff.
    2. Everybody else gets on board or shuts up.

That's how it should be for any coach. Not just Gruden.

13. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

That doesn't sound like a democracy to me.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Don't be stupid.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Amen.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

When you elect a President, he still gets to pick his staff.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Assistant coaches sound more like cabinet to me..but be approved by the BOT/Senate.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Who said it is supposed to be?

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If the president wants to appoint someone and it isn't approved, he hires somebody else.

If Gruden wants to hire someone and we tell him know, he tells us to **** off and we hire the first coach who lets us control him. Which probably means he sucks.

20. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Hummmmmm.......... We have a hiring panel .........Gruden and Gruden!