How bad are we underachieving?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Couldn't do a thing about it? Retarded.

We never sent the screen to the vacated zones. We kept doing that Rb flare. We never made them pay for blitzing the OLBs on every single play. We kept running Hurd toward them and the MLBs simply keyed on Dobbs. It was utterly stupid.

Any read and flip to drag TE was 20 yards per pop.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay, *didn't* do anything about it. I misspoke. That post was in response to IP saying OU didn't take the run away. They certainly did.

And I still agree with what you're saying. Every time you've posted it, I've agreed.

Edit: reading what I said again, I don't think I misspoke. We couldn't do a damn thing about it, as in we weren't good enough to say "**** you. Load the box. We are gonna run all over you anyway." Teams with top 5 and top 10 talent in the nation (i.e. Alabama, LSU, etc.) can do that a lot of times.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've read the thread. I'm just trying to figure out what your core argument is here. I don't think they have the fourth best talent in the nation, but trying to deny they haven't played to their potential is just silly.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The AIDB sometimes has a pretty good team.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I didn't act like I was right. I read the words he typed and interpreted them literally. You realize you just said you knew I'd try to twist his words and then specifically told me I needed to twist his words to get the real meaning?

And again. He clearly implied there was a talent gap. I never even disputed that. Shit dude, you are really dumb.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You can't when you decide to run the back five yards laterally before attempting to gain a yard. Had we spent the last few years developing a North/South running game, Hurd likely does cram it up their Sooner asses.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I certainly agree that we have underachieved, and I also agree that a large portion of that is due to poor coaching. I see 5 toss up games this season, and we lost all but one. With better coaching, I think we win at least two more with the *possibility* of winning 3, but certainly no guarantee. I certainly think we *could* have won the east this year, but I won't go as far as to say we *should* have won it. I just see it as more of a toss up between 3 very similarly talented teams in UF, UGA, and UT. I also don't attribute the entirety of every single loss to Lyle's incompetence. There have been times where we have had guys miss opportunities to make plays at key times in games.

I think the talk of us being a top 5 or top 10 talented team in the country is ridiculous. Post that question on any other team message board in the country and we might be lucky to make the top 25.

I think we certainly have a number of guys who can hang with the country's most talented at their respective positions (Hurd, for example). I also think we have a number of positions that aren't even close (OL, LB when Jumper is in). Furthermore, I think depth has to be taken into account. We don't have top notch depth at a lot of positions. Teams with top 10 talent have great 1's and 2's, and usually with very few weak spots in the 1's. I just think people are overstating our talent. It's certainly much better than it has been for years, but it's not what people are making it out to be.

Lastly, I think people may be thinking of talent more as potential, while I'm thinking of talent as production. We have a lot of guys with MASSIVE upside (KMac, Kirkland, Jennings, Phillips come to mind) that should be some of the best players in the country at their respective positions in due time. I don't look at our team's talent as what guys are capable of doing. I look at it as their output on the field this season.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I called him out twice for saying we should have won 45-0, and he didn't try to claim he didn't say that either time. What does that tell you?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Can't say. Any number of factors could contribute to what he said.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What he's saying is extremely clear, but go ahead and keep pretending.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Uh. Yeah. Looks like the idea of Butch coaching UF and McElwain coaching UT didn't favor into that 45-0 comment at all. Clearly not. Lots of pretending and twisting and any number of factors going on.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I can't find where I strongly disagree with any of this.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I didn't read it, but I'm pretty sure you are having a stroke.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Read the first and last sentence.

I dont have a great level of confidence in what I'm saying. I used that score as hyperbole. It would no doubt be a thrashing. It's one big contradiction.

And as I said, I understood that. I told you I understood it. "Switch the coaches and it's 45-0" is another way of saying our coach held us back from winning 45-0. And that's dumb.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yet according to KPT, I'm arguing that we haven't underachieved based on our talent this season. It's what he does when he can't prove someone's points wrong. He changes their points himself or tries to make fun of the person. Or argues about the minuscule details of something irrelevant to the actual discussion, like he's doing right now.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Between the lines it says, "I got a hard on for arguing over some of the details."

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. Because Butch's ineptitude as UF's coach is an enormous factor in the score. He specifically described Butch wrecking their offense. You are wrong. Admit it or go away. Second option is preferable.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, you're really tearing it up in here. I'm just trying to keep my head above water.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

i like how minuscule those details became once they made you look even more stupid. Sure seemed important five minutes ago when you were telling me to ****ing read.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, because Butch has been blown out so many times this season. Makes all kinds of sense. Thanks for showing me the light.