How bad are we underachieving?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So are you changing positions now to where he didn't say we should have won 45-0, or are you just confused again and now think that's something I said?

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've followed the entire thing. He finally tried to clarify (I guess third time being called out is the charm?) and came back with some bull shit about nuance in comparing hypotheticals. Which is another way of saying "yeah, my hypothetical is really stupid."

The point of a hypothetical is to provide a scenario that didn't happen but could happen as a means to prove a point. In order to achieve that goal, the hypothetical has to be based in some sort of reality.

I could provide a hypothetical situation and say that Wabash College's football team would beat LSU this year if they played on a rainy Thursday morning and all the Wabash players ate Wheaties for breakfast. And everyone would say, "Indy, that's a dumb ****ing hypothetical" because it's not based in any sort of reality.

Neither is the 45-0 bullshit. The talent gap is not there, nor is the gap in coaching ability that large. It's a complete fantasy with no basis in what actually exists.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So. No one said UT should have beaten Florida 45-0. Now we can move on.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

All that rambling was stupid. It's not a worthless hypothetical. And yes, the coaching gap is that large. I guarantee everyone is with me on that.

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If we had Freeze, Sumlin, Mullen, or (insert any other "half decent" coach) this team would be 7-1 at worst and in the top 10 or right on the verge of it.

They were talking on the Tony B show yesterday about how this year's team (per the eye ball test and coaching aside) is a top 10 team. I agree.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Coaches should put their players in positions to succeed. Butch is actually doing the opposite with the offense.

McElwain doesn't have much to work with, but he's making it work.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

A reasonable outlook to have. Indy can't do the eyeball test and put coaching aside.

8. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

You're dumb. If Urban, Saban, Harbaugh, and maybe one or two others had been at UT for three years we SMOKE that UF team.

9. BigOrangeBeech

In hindsight, I wish we would have gone after and hired Mullen. I probably wouldn't have been happy at the time, because it wouldn't have been the splash hire we all wanted, but I really do think he could have done well here.

10. BigOrangeBeech

Heck, the 3 coaches I mentioned wouldn't have blown a 13 point lead and probably tack on another score to put the fork in em.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

People have already said they're not impressed with him in this thread. Some have given him even less credit than I do.

12. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Mullen, Kiffin, Cutcliff, Chaney et al would have Dobbs playing spectacular football.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No. You just only look at the shit that benefits your argument. You ignore the fact that no one made a play on the final Florida TD. You ignore the fact that Dobbs was a couple lucky rolls away from fumbling into a safety and fumbling away our last drive. You can't just look at the good things we do and ignore the bad or blame it entirely on the coach.

If they had been here 3 years, the team would look completely different.

That's not 45-0

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I completely disagree. But it doesn't matter because there is literally no way to refute that claim.

15. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

What? You don't think good to great offensive guys would get better production out of Dobbs? Jesus.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If 4 non biased college football analysts ranked the top 15 teams in the country in terms of collective talent on the entire roster, I don't think Tennessee even makes the discussion. Everyone who is talking about Tennessee having top 10 talent is a Tennessee guy.

17. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

There are 2 MAYBE 3 more talented teams in the SEC than UT. LSU & Alabama. a&m and UGA might be in the discussion, but I really don't think they are as talented as us. Clemson has talent. FSU has talent. TCU, OSU, MSU. That is a TOTAL of 9 teams. Now you name the other 6.

18. BigOrangeBeech

Horse hockey

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Explain how some of the best qb coaches/offensive minds in football couldn't do a better job than a secretary and a graduate assistant

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Greg McElroy and Booger McFarland aren't "Tennessee guys".