How can we win on Saturday? (OU Edition)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 10, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If I had even the slightest hope OU would be overlooking this game, I'd say we were young and dumb enough to pull off a miracle. But they aren't.

Going to take a lot of breaks. Lots of them.

2. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I don't think they'll overlook this game... no matter how shitty we are, they want to be able to brag about curbstomping the SEC.

tango's key to victory --
    1. no turnovers
    2. keep OU offense off the field

Result: Team who scores last, wins.

That said, I am already prognosticating that Worley will get drilled at least once, resulting in a fumble and +6 for the OU defense.

I'm so confident about the outcome of this game, I really can't bring myself to watch it in real time. This will be a DVR event so I can see the final score and then decide whether to watch it at all.... because don't forget that Memphis State actually gave UCLA a real run, and I don't care how overrated UCLA might be, there's simply no excuse for allowing tiger high to make a game of it.

I give us a 5% chance of being able to execute tango's keys to success perfectly and be the last team to score.

3. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

The key to winning offensively is our running game, and the key to the running game is to have some minuscule threat of a passing game.

Smith and Pig will be key here, as guys like North, Croom, and Malone will get a majority of the attention from the defense and our TEs & RBs will be busy helping out the line.

If we can be consistent with the 5-10 yard quick passes and keep Worley from getting destroyed, I think we can win the turnover battle and can create some rhythm.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Have some kool-aid.

5. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

1. We can't go 3 and out on our first possession like we have the first 2 games. We have to get a drive going for confidence and to not give the crowd any extra advantage.

2. Oklahoma has a defense made to handle the passing attacks of the Big 12. We don't have the qb to burn their defense so we need to be able to pound the football down their throat... balls deep. Hurd needs 25 carries and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Lane had 20 or so as well. Which leads to...

3. We can't get behind the chains or on the scoreboard early. We need 3rd and 2's not 3rd and 8's. We need to keep the score close enough so we don't have to start throwing. If Worley throws 30+ times we lose.

4. Hit Trevor Knight in the mouth early and often.

5. Not give up a special teams TD.

6. Beechervol

1. We have to finally win the coin toss.
    2. Defer to the second half.
    3. Onside kick to start the game.
    4. Onside kick every time after we score.
    5. Fake every punt.

That simple

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

you stole Bassman's NCAA14 playbook?

8. Beechervol

Not that original.

9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

My first thought was of that Bear Bryant video where he is describing how if his underdog team plays at like 95% and the favorite plays at only 80%, then ...

*Vols +2 turnovers
    *Vols O - RB's rush for 200yds (Pig Sweeps and the rare Zone READ do not count). Our RB's need yards for sustained drives.
    *Vols O - no big WR drops
    *Vols D - Gets off the field on 3rd downs. We cannot get into 3rd and 7+ and let them convert.
    *Vols D - Pressures the QB and has at least 4 sacks
    *Vols ST - No missed FG's or Extra Points. No kickoffs out of bounds
    *Vols ST - No OK touchdowns on ST
    *Luck - at least one bounce off the foot/facemask/butt or bobbles and falls down bouncing the ball up INT type of play

Vols must sustain drives and I think having some running game is key. Otherwise, Worley will get too much pressure and gamble.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're going to need a big jump in performance from the O-line and/or a change in run plays and strategyf or this to happen, is what I am hearing from you all.

11. KennyR

KennyR Member

I think it's going to be a much closer game than most. We don't have to play perfect, just have to keep the pressure on OK so they feel it and make more mistakes. Not a huge talent gap like the polls suggest. If Jones has these young men believing in him and his system they will leave it all on the field, and have a 50-50 chance of winning. The key to the game will be mental. The team with the most mental mistakes will lose. The type of mistakes and the # of them I can see it being a 2 TD game for either team, but if mistakes are limited it'll come down to a last second field goal. Now I need some more orange Kool-aid.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We have plenty!

[​IMG]

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the game were in Knoxville, I could see it being 50/50. Otherwise, I think you are right.

14. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I agree that if this were in knoxville, i'd feel somewhat more confident (I'd move our chances from 5% to something around 15%)...

Unfortunately, I think there is a high potential this game is going to look like Oregon Part 2.

15. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

nice.

that's sig material right there.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

So we'll be leading 7-0 after each team has had a possession? Sweet.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The only way we win this game is if OU has a meltdown reminiscent of OU/Texas 2013.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Don't think that would be enough.

19. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

All we gotta do, is "Sweep the leg".

[​IMG]

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If the fat kid has properly played the role of Arn Anderson and wiped Daniel out in the previous round, none of that would have been necessary. The fat kid ruined Cobra Kai.