How many mistakes do you make in a work day?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 21, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just curious. I mostly mean minor little mistakes that you are able to correct rather quickly. I assume no one who holds down a job is making a major mistake everyday, but tell me about those too.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The first mistake I make every day is getting out of bed. It gets worse from there.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not many, but i'm anal that way.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You have to work to make mistakes.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I thought I made one once but I was wrong

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Maybe 2 on the average day, unless you count debugging code. Then I probably make 200-300.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think debugging code qualifies as a mistake, that's more "part of the process." Like proofreading a manuscript.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I tore up an AT&T line that wasn't marked the other day.

I hit a gas line last year, that was fun. A guy that works for me tore up a 2 inch domestic water line last week.

I don't believe in small mistakes, just big ones.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I added up the square footage wrong on a tile floor on a bid two years ago, got the job and had $12,000 too much worth of tile. I took it back and got my money, though.

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I don't mistakes. I implement new features.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

One big one every morning...

Seriously, I make 2 or 3 slip ups a day or as few as none. Making big mistakes makes me feel disgustingly guilty, so I double, triple, and have a coworker check anything terribly important.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is me too, I'm scared to death of making a mistake and hurting someone. Drives some of the guys I work with crazy, but we're all still alive.

13. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Does the work day just include just the office or the commute?

A few a day, I'm sure... If I realize I've made a mistake, I correct it quickly, learn, and move on.

Thank goodness I'm not a surgeon.

People that act like they never make a mistake bug me, present company excluded.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If I was in your line of work, I would be the guy that is wearing three safety harnesses, double layer gloves and a hat with a ground wire back to the truck.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The reason I ask is that I'm good for a minor mistake about every other day, and a time consuming (for me) moderate screw up about every other week. It drives me nuts, because I expect perfection yet rarely attain it.

I work with someone who always harps on the little things. Today, he made two mistakes in the span of 15 minutes, both of which cost a little money... and yet he didn't seem to think it was any deal at all. It only bothered me because he can harp on smaller things at greater intervals when it is someone else. When you perform 100 small tasks in a day, in stands to reason that you might flub one in that span (to no real consequence, just fixing it). Don't know why it is a big deal. Seems like human nature, "process," etc.

Similarly, my partner for my side business has read me the riot act on the smallest of things. But a major screw up not by me? No big deal. I'm annoyed at being held to an insanely high standard compared to someone's for themselves.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd build a robot for all electrical stuff (so everything).

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you either got to laugh it off or talk to him about it and if he claims ignorance start documenting all his **** ups and list them for him.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Are you two equal partners because if you are and he was riding my ass over doing the same stuff that wouldn't go over very well

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yes sir. My mistakes can have serious consequences for me and the university, so I do the same.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What do you do, lyl (generally, if you'd like)?