How many mistakes do you make in a work day?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 21, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wouldn't put up with that shit from a supervisor either, but i'm kind of an *******

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Admissions. I'm also now solely responsible for collecting data and setting travel schedules to areas that are most productive for us. So, if we don't meet numbers...I could be job searching.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's getting pretty rare that we work on anything energized, but if something gets crossed or isn't tight, it's not a minor mistake anymore.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't have a very high tolerance for people harping over a screw up. If I **** up, tell me then we move on. If you're bringing it up a few weeks later, I'm liable to tell you to go get ****ed

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it's just IP and the other guy. If he has the skin in the game by paying for the supplies and ip just being labor it's different than just being a **** when both are on equal footing.

If he's hovering over me and on my ass over every little thing that would never work.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We had a trashcan catch on fire in a building Friday afternoon. We worked all weekend on it, ripping out duct, sheetrock etc. One flex line didn't get changed out, heat kicks on and shoots soot all over one office.

That sucked.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I hate people that draw it out in a long about way. If I'm wrong tell me so I can fix it.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I remember I made a minor mistake once, I crossed two tiny wires about the size of the wires in a house outlet, in a 138,000 volt breaker. It caused almost a whole city to lose power, and a small part of Key Largo.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I screw up quite a bit, but most of the time I can get it fixed rather quickly.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

exactly. if i'm not owning it that's a different situation, but unless I just cost you a boatload of money I don't want to hear about it. I once had an assistant that made a $20K error that I never would have made in 100 years and I didn't fire her or even really berate her when it happened. my reaction was basically oh shit and thinking to myself that I should have known she couldn't handle it. you either deal with the consequences of delegation or do it yourself.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

in my line of work, if I screw up chances are it's because i'm not paying attention to the details or properly following up on things. i'm naturally lazy so that's a problem, but I've found scheduling things and contact management has helped me considerably.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm not too mistake prone but mine typically occur when working fast. Fire drills and such where I'm pulling data together quickly and may screw up a formula. It kills me when someone else finds a mistake in my work.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Most of the time I screw up I'm sitting in a meeting and notice a misspelling on one of my slides that I just read over 10 times. We normally make fun of each other when it happens, but I'm generally pissed when I do it.

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

As the warehouse operations manager for a manufacturers rep agency, I have a lot of plates I have to keep spinning and I'm the only guy taking care of it (so technically I only manage myself... Which is a PITA sometimes but if something doesn't get done, I know EXACTLY who didn't do it....) so naturally a plate breaks from time to time. It's usually not a big deal but there's a guy up front who fancies himself the big cheese, mainly because he's been there forever and has done what I do now... I'm usually able to brush him off when he gets on his high horse but there have been a couple of times it almost came to blows... I just gotta tell myself his ass isn't worth beating and let it go.

The main problem I have with him is he rarely makes any mistakes and when he does, he won't own it. When I make a mistake it's always a huge deal that gets blown all out of proportion. I'll give him credit though that once he says his piece, it's over. What really pisses me off is when he finds a mistake on my part and gets all smug about it. He's usually an ok dude to work with but sometimes I just want to beat the shit out of him.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is similar to what prompted this discussion.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Equal.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is how I see it, it is how I lead, and I don't understand folks who don't see it that way.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Worst are the people who blame other people. When I was starting out anytime dealing with anyone in the back office or a vendor I made sure to follow up to make sure they did what I asked them to. I had a couple of assistants that would throw up their hands and say "they didn't do it." No matter how much I tried to explain to them they didn't get that it was their responsibility to make sure it got done.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Boatloads.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago in a jury trial I didn't make an objection that I should have made. The result of that is that the issue is no longer preserved for appeal. That was a big one. Nobody else will ever know this was a mistake, but that doesn't mean I haven't beaten myself up over it.

I make small ones every day. Just today I objected on relevance grounds to the prosecutor bringing up my client's prior felony convictions while cross examining her. Judge said "felonies are always relevant for impeachment". So overruled. Does even qualify as a mistake? Actually, probably not. No harm, no foul if your objection gets overruled. But if that did count as a mistake then I make loads.

But the biggest thing is, I really can't be concerned with making mistakes. I have to kind of embrace them.