How many wins makes 2019 a successful year?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Joshua Arnold, Apr 24, 2019.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Here's what I think about the 2019 season:

There's going to be at least 2 true freshmen starting on the oline from day one

Taylor will get double digit sacks

The offense will look a lot like 2007's. Three step drops and two reads then dump it off. There won't be too many big plays but a lot of time consuming 4 yard gains.

As the season goes on, Crouch and To'oto'o will get more snaps.

The dline won't be that bad.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

that's a recipe for at least 7 wins

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Should be 4-0 in Non Conference.

UGA and Bama are still out of reach (on paper) 0-2

UF had a good season 1 under Mullen. Be curious to see if they back that up or if that was just a shock. Given the recent history of UT/UF (specifically when neither have been very good) until you prove it, it is what it is. 0-1

4-3

The rest. Nothing on paper screams trouble. Vandy, Mizzou and MSU are all 3 replacing starting QBs. MSU is replacing several draftable players, some very high.
    SC was underwhelming last year when many felt like they were the 2nd best team in the east, I don't think they are much better this year. UK has recruited better recently but they are replacing once a decade (or more) talents this year.

Nothing about those 5 teams current situations says, we should be better or even as good as last year. If anything most them are losing pieces they can't replace in one year.

If we win all 5 of those we re off to the races and the 2020 class and season should really be interesting.
    4-1 or 3-2 and you still have made a positive step and recruiting should still be on tract for top 5 in 2020.
    2-3 or worse and you have a lot of questions in year 3. The biggest of which is how hard of a hit do you take in recruiting.

With the additions of Ansley, Chaney, and Tee I think this is an 8-4 team with this schedule.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mississippi State also lose two great first round defensive linemen. There aren't any more of those on that roster.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Also true.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think that's a bigger loss than the QB.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Who did Pruitt "out coach" last year? How many top 15 recruiting classes did we have the past 3 years? How many times did we say, there's no way we lose this week? How many more years will it be, this is a favorable schedule?

This is it, put your big boy pants on and win some [uck fay]ing games. Shit. Enough with the excuses, this is a pro QB, he's a first round pick next year. [dadgum] it, one day we're just going to have to win, no excuses. Stop trying to convince yourselves. I'll give Pruitt this year to change my mind, but he's not the guy. Find a hat that fits, get rid of the fisherman shirts, and jesus, leave the cap off the water bottle. If you're thirsty, chug that shit and get it over with.

Ssmiff likes this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would say he outcoached Gus Malzahn.

2017's recruiting class was 17th and has lost 3 players to transfer and the best player, Trey Smith, may never play football again

2018's recruiting class was 21st

2019's was 12th.

So, one top 15 recruiting class in 3 years and it's incoming freshmen.

Savage Orange likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But, year twos have been the years good coaches make drastic leaps. Beat someone you aren't supposed to beat and crush the lesser teams.

A-Smith, kmf600 and utvol0427 like this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Is the DT who did a gofundme to pay his last $515 at juco going to make it in?
    Would help to have a grown man on the DL and hes got to be 23 already.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Agree

Is beating teams of equal or greater talent a thing anymore? I thought great coaches occasionally did that. Need 9 wins for me to keep the faith. I could be persuaded with 8, but it will depend on circumstances.

kmf600 likes this.
  12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

What does "some" games look like?

Most everybody else has an opinion on what he should be looking at record wise with this schedule.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm saying 7 is the same shit. Minimum 8 wins this year, then a competitive bowl game

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee is bottoming out this year, talent wise.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I dont disagree at all with the expectations, but I also dont think its plain as can be that Pruitt isnt the guy yet either. Hes made changes to his staff, important ones on both sides, one being that hes turning over the DC to someone, which I think will help him out a lot this year. Hes still building the roster towards being able to not only compete with but actually beat UF, UGa, and Bama some. This year is all about how many wins can he get out of that middle tier of Mizzzou, State, USCe, UK and Vandy? And can we steal one against UF or UGA?

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We wont have a player drafted again this weekend.
    Next year, maybe Jennings, Callaway, Bituli, Taylor, Nigel, but none of them in early rounds.
    Cant recall how many the year prior, but I'd bet the 3 year span will see fewer draft picks than every other sec team.
    This staff needs to get talent up, and Pruitt knows football, so he needs to get the talent in here so we can see how well he can or cant prepare and coach.
    Tough position too. What if your 3-4 year coaching life was dependant on JG at qb, the position that may be the difference between 6 and 9 wins. Hope for us all Chaney can take a brain a step behind and speed it up.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw too many whiffed blocks to just pretend it is all on the QB.

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I’d definitely argue he outcoached Mark Stoops.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, but that's not anything special

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I love this new staff, believing that they are and will continue to land / develop SEC-level recruits and players, and will do the most with what they have until the roster is turned over.

I don’t have any reasoning for it, and may be proven wrong (even given my predictions for this upcoming season), but I’m still more optimistic about our overall trajectory and potential as a program than I’ve been at any point since 2009, in Kiffin’s year.