How many wins makes 2019 a successful year?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Joshua Arnold, Apr 24, 2019.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

very favorable schedule. if he knows what he's doing 8-4 shouldn't be a problem.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he'll get it. He's got arguably the best coaching staff in the east as a whole.

droski likes this.
  3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's got one of the best coaching staffs in the country.

MaconVol and zehr27 like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

if the line produces the team produces.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I don't really disagree with that at all.

If he wins 8 he hasn't cemented anything other than he's headed in the right direction. 7 does that to a lesser degree. Neither are numbers that make anybody happy in year 3 or 4.

kmf600 likes this.
  6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

If you aren't counting interns

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

as long as the win total improves year over year, I am fine.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And don't habitually piss away double digit leads

kmf600 likes this.
  9. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Fixed.

10. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

And kick FGs from the 3 inch line.

Memtownvol likes this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If only we could have gotten rid of Butch two years sooner a lot would be different. Those first two full recruiting classes of his went completely squandered.

justingroves likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Amazing what one Hail Mary against Georgia did to this program.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eh, [uck fay] Georgia

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Except, who was the AD, and what are the chances they were going to be squandered anyway?

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This is how I'd break it down.

As close to sure wins as it gets:
    Georgia State
    UAB (yes, they were good last year. They also lose more production than anyone else in the country)
    UTC

Should win:
    Kentucky (away, but they lose a *ton* from a team we beat last year)
    BYU (they weren't good last year but had a lot of close losses and one upset win, so they're no sure thing)

Tossups bordering on should win:
    South Carolina (we were close last year, we're at home this year, and we return more production than them)
    Vandy (this team was running on fumes by the time we played them last year--they weren't that much better than us--plus this year is at home, and we return more than they do)

Tossups bordering on should lose:
    Mississippi State (they lose a decent amount but have earned the benefit of the doubt at this point--they may not be an amazing team, but they should be solid. We do get them at home)
    Missouri (they're not that much more talented than us, but it's hard to put this in the "should win" category given that we've been smacked around two of our last three times in Columbia, plus last year at home, and their transfer QB is good)

Should lose:
    Georgia
    Florida (considered putting this in the "tossup bordering on should lose," but they return a fair amount from a team that was better than us last year, they're at home, and we always play our worst against Florida)

As close to sure loss as it gets:
    Alabama

That's a pretty symmetrical grouping, with the expectation looking like 7-5, and with us about equally likely to lose one that looks like a win and to win one that looks like a loss. On the other hand, that's still four games in the "tossup" category. We improve a little bit faster than expected or those other teams take a little bigger step back than expected, and 9-3 goes on the table pretty quickly. Obviously, if we don't improve as expected, 5-7 is on the table, but that's pretty much the "start looking for a new coach" scenario.

tl;dr agree with hohen, 7-5 is the expectation, 8-4 or better is a win

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It sucks that we have to take into consideration home vs away against the likes of Vandy, KY, SC, and MSU.

hohenfelsvol, Memtownvol and kmf600 like this.
  17. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

7 is the floor, 8 is a good season, 9 is the ceiling.

justingroves likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's me. We'll see how good this staff is.

19. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I am a negavol. I confess. 9 is successful. Anything less involves various degrees of excuses. The end of year collapse last year was very Dooley Year 1 or 2...depending on if you accept a year 0. Either way, it was the KY loss year.

I don’t think Pruitt was a remotely successful game coach last year. I have my doubts for a guy that knows so much about football. Since he doesn’t BS I will buy a few shares of Pruitt stock. But, I don’t see how our players aren’t more talented than 9 opponents.

kmf600 likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

you don't see how Florida is more talented?