I’m just here to do the Super Bowl shuffle…

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Feb 13, 2022.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I like College Dropout more too but MBDTF is up there. The rap isn’t as good but the overall music/production is more advanced, probably Kanye at his peak as a total package

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Indy, how are you measuring?

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Small.

InVolNerable likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Straight Outta Compton is an NWA album. I'm not saying it doesn't count or anything, but it can't be given the same weight as a solo album, especially considering who else is on it.

You'll have to define "bigger" for me. Kendrick has 3 albums (good kid, m.A.A.d city, To Pimp a Butterfly, and DAMN.) that fall into the "all-time" category and are widely considered masterpieces. I don't think I'd agree that Straight Outta Compton or The Chronic are "way bigger" than any of them, but I'm open to hearing your thought process.

Hell, I just read something a day or two ago about good kid, m.A.A.d city holding the record for hip hop album with the longest stay on the Billboard top 200 at 450 weeks. The album was released 10 years ago, for [uck fay]'s sake.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'll let you know as soon as I find it.

emainvol likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A schmuck like me that hasn't listened to much rap in 35 years knows about Straight Outta Compton. I have never heard of Kendrick before last night.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In all seriousness, there are probably a number of ways to measure and a lot of factors to consider. The most important piece is probably a comparison of the commercial and critical success of their solo studio albums.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How old were you when Straight Outta Compton came out (1988), and how old are you now? That probably explains most of it.

It also doesn't hurt that Straight Outta Compton had a relatively successful movie with the same title in theaters somewhat recently.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a lot of us grew up rams fans and had to deal with the insult of frontieri moving the team, shitting on the LA fans on the way out and during her super bowl speech, and then winning the super bowl in st louis.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

john Lenin isn't that great because his greatest hits weren't when he was solo.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Straight Outta Compton and The Chronic were two albums which changed the rap game definitively. NWA brought gangsta rap to suburbia and then The Chronic brought the West Coast g-funk to the mainstream. The Chronic was the first album I heard played on top 40 radio. Again, I like Lamar. A lot, actually. Dude is fantastic and "Swimming Pools" is one of my favorite rap songs. But, his albums didn't change the landscape the way Dre's did. Hell, he hasn't even sold albums like Snoop did, either. It's hard to express the way about 6 rappers in the 90s and early 2000s were the pinnacle of the genre's influence when the genre was at its height.

Actually, my friend and I were talking about this the other day and we noted how we'll never see phenomenons like The Beatles, Eminem, Michael Jackson, etc., etc. ever again based upon the way the music industry works now. It's too balkanized and people just don't buy and consume music in the same way as they did to lend to giant superstars of the past.

Volsdude likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Composite Indy Argument: thing now is better than thing prior to now because Reasons!

justingroves likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm still processing Norris not knowing anything about any of them.

justingroves and Unimane like this.
  14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

No love from anyone for Ice Cube is truly baffling for me. He wrote almost all of the lyrics for NWA and without him, who knows where any of this would be .

Indy likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

Poppa T likes this.
  16. Unimane

I'm dying at this being "news". It's just like you think you know someone and they turn out to be someone totally different. Why, Snoop? Why?!

NashVol11 likes this.
  17. Unimane

Oh, I love me some Cube. I was soooooo hoping he came out last night and did "No Vaseline" just to watch my Facebook feed of folks over 50 losing their shit.

18. NorrisAlan

Along with:

"Fish swims before dinner."
    "Bear eats salmon before hibernating."
    "NYY gives handjob before bed."

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Apparently he's kinda losing it.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He did the NASCAR race the week before at the LA Coliseum and was fine. I thought, anyway.

21. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lol. Not when you grew up with 70s and 80s rap like i did. Kanye sucks