I’m just here to do the Super Bowl shuffle…

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Froggy Fresh is great.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Kanye sucks now. Hell, Eminem sucks now, and that's coming from a guy who thinks Eminem has a claim for being the greatest rapper of all time.

How Kanye is now doesn't take anything away from his all-time greatness in his prime, unless you're one of those people who thinks legacy can go backwards - which would be dumb.

I would venture a guess that you've never listened to a Kendrick album. If you like Eminem, you would like Kendrick. You should give him a try. Start with good kid, m.A.A.d city, move to To Pimp a Butterfly, and then finish with DAMN. You actually have to sit down and listen though. You'll miss his greatness if you listen passively. I'm also a fan of the song The Heart Part IV, which is on youtube but not spotify. It was the song he put out to announce that DAMN. was coming.

4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

So where do the Beastie Boys figure into all of this?

Asking for a friend

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No one said Dre isn't great. You're just making stuff up.

Dre doesn't get as much credit for Straight Outta Compton because it wasn't a solo album like The Chronic and all of the Kendrick albums being discussed. As someone else mentioned, Dre may not even deserve the "most" credit out of all the people involved with making that album. Lot of people think that's Cube.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

More awards, higher position on charts, more weeks on charts, etc. etc. etc.

I know why I believe what I believe, and it's based on stuff that's quantifiable. Most of the other stuff being discussed in here isn't.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think a lot of what you are saying is subjective. There is an argument to be made that he has changed the landscape in similar ways to Dre.

I'm not sure album sales are a fair measurement in today's music climate.

By most objective metrics of album greatness, Kendrick has 3 albums that stack up very well against the Chronic.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Also...

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Might be the first time I've ever agreed with you.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He's got a fair amount of solid stuff, but it's hard to weed through all the garbage to find it. It's also been a while.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This guy is onto something. Objective measurements are nice.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol, I'm sorry to break it to you, but if you truly like half of the dudes you listed, you almost certainly would like Kendrick as well.

Similar to another debate I won't call out by name, you seem to be arguing here about 2 rappers that I don't think you've ever truly sat down and listened to. I highly doubt you've ever sat down and listened to a full Kanye or Kendrick album. If you did, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. But I don't think this post or anything else will change anything because you are who you are and you have all the answers.

13. Ssmiff

Paul's Boutique and Check your Head were better than licensed to Ill. One of my favorite bands as well.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I hate to break it to you, but they are all subjective arguments when measuring "greatness", an inherently subjective statement.

justingroves likes this.
  15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I am, without much doubt, the biggest Beastie fan on the board (I even bought their instrumental CD), and agree with you here. Check Your Head is my #1, though I know Paul's Boutique is considered their artistic "masterpiece".

16. Ssmiff

I've listened to Kanye and Lamar. Let's see if you enjoy rap at age 51 vs when 30. Lamar is fine. The song he played sounded all over the place with no flow. You somehow turn that into I've never listened to them and I said he sucks, which I didn't.
    I dont have all the answers smartjackass. I have my own opinion which you seem not to be able to handle. Again.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No they're not. See below:

Album sales aren't subjective either. Just hard to compare across eras with all the ways that music consumption has changed. But within the same era? Hell yeah it's a good way to compare.

18. Ssmiff

On a tangent, why does on the charts mean greatness? It doesn't imo. Plenty of great songs don't make it in rankings and many high on the charts, I dont like. Celine dion at #1 and I'm supposed to say she's great? She's great if you like that sound and want to be annoyed

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You have a completely uninformed opinion. It's an opinion, sure, but it's not worth anything in this conversation because it's uninformed.

I don't believe you've listened to them. There's little doubt in my mind that you're just full of shit when you say you have.

But just so we are clear, when I say you haven't "listened" to Kendrick or Kanye, I don't mean you've literally never heard one of their songs. I mean you've never sat down and taken in one of their top albums in full or really given them the time of day to make an impression. I know this because you keep referring to m.A.A.d city and Alright, two of Kendrick Lamar's greatest songs, as "the song he played" during the halftime show. If you don't know the names of "those songs he played," then you haven't listened to Kendrick.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'll Communication is a freaking awesome album.