If you could alter an event in history...what would it be?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by 615 Vol, Feb 6, 2016.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

He played in Tampa, right?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I dont think he ever played again after the injury, but I could be wrong.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I might be thinking about Cobb.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He was at Green Bay briefly if I recall correctly.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes he was, I had his rookie card

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I believe if Hitler were not available, another man would become the leader of the Nazi party, and the war would still be fought. This other man could possibly be a brilliant militarist who would not make the mistakes of Hitler and put the Allies in a position of having to negotiate an armistice giving Germany many concessions.

With the above scenario, the war might last longer causing perhaps your grandfather to be drafted, killed in action, preventing your birth. Who knows?

7. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

When it comes to one of the worst events in world history, it's not feasible to dissuade yourself with irrational fear of worse happening -- especially when it is 100% unsubstantiated fear.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Speak for yourself. Altering past events is inherently and completely unpredictable. For all we know, Hitler's Germany IS the result of some alteration of other events.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's like no one played Command and Conquer.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I know.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The whole premise of this thread is purely unsubstantiated speculation, so any answer is just that. I am never irrational, and no matter how bad it was, it still could have been worse.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed.

13. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Who said it's not unpredictable? The lack of predictability doesn't make the fear substantiated.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I disagree. Having no ability to know even the range of possible outcomes substantiates an argument for not changing things.

15. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

That seems silly given we go through the same inability to know the range of possible outcomes when facing problems everyday.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I would have tapped Buzz Peterson's drunken wife when I had the opportunity that night she was visiting a friend in Johnson City back in the early '90s...

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That shouldn't shake history up too much, so it should be safe.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The way she was acting, I'm not sure it was very "safe".

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

But those decisions are made in the present, so the outcomes are only in the future. This would be outcomes in the past, affecting the past, present, and future. I'm not into playing causative Jenga.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The question needing answered is whether time travel is possible? How can you go to the future when it has not happened yet? If you could return to the past, then there would be a future.