If you could alter an event in history...what would it be?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by 615 Vol, Feb 6, 2016.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We gonna do the relativity thing again?

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'd love to make a joke here, but I don't feel like getting bombarded with insults. *****.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Only if we can keep it relative.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I bet you would unless everyone loses their connection, or some other unforeseen thing happens. You just never know.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

3/10.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

One hypothesis is that if time travel were possible, you would actually just be splitting your "reality" into two- one in which you changed past events and created a new line of events and thus a new reality, and the original one you came from as if you never traveled. I have no idea how to evaluate such an idea, but it's out there.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just read comic books, they explain it well

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I like Terminator time travel rules.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why they didn't send a plasmanrifle stuffed up a rams arse back with Reese I will never know.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Why of course, where was my brain?

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is the one I find most likely.

And the reason is that if you change a past event, too many things could happen to the point that you never exist, or fail to succeed in your attempt to time travel.

So it appears that it just doesn't happen.

So it is either flat impossible, or creates an alternate timeline. Which is effectively the same thing from the original timeline's consciousness.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is the way I lean as well, if only because if time travel were possible and didn't create a new reality, it'd require a temporal loop every time or else the changes literally couldn't happen.

Assuming time travel is possible. I think it was Stephen Hawking who threw a "time travelers' party" and then made public announcements the next day. No one came.

13. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I read he hurt his knee again while at Green Bay and the just hung it up after that. Had he stay healthy, Tennessee beats Notre Dame, Alabama, and Auburn and win at least a share of the national title. Majors gets his extension he wanted in 1990 and Fulmer never coaches a game at UT.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I thought he was drafted by Buffalo.

15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Abandoning the nuclear powered spacecraft that would have went to Mars and beyond.