Indian Tax Scam Busted

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/thane-500-call-centre-employees-detained-for-duping-us-citizens-3066247/

Did anyone else get a call in the last year or so from someone pretending to be the IRS or a recording that they needed to call this IRS number or they would face criminal prosecution? I got three of these calls, at least. Told them I wasn't giving them any info over the phone, but I think I was too kind to them. Happy to see their asses busted, but I still get, at least, 2 calls a month from various sketchy places that I mostly just ignore. Does anyone else have this issue?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah my mother got the call and freaked out. Thankfully I stopped her before she did something idiotic

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I am not familiar with getting audited by the IRS, but I was fairly certain that they don't just call you out of the blue, tell you the shit has hit the fan and to pay up. I'm about 99.99978% sure that I'd get a letter, probably multiple ones, in the mail.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I answer exactly zero calls from an unknown phone number. Anything that doesn't leave me a legit voicemail gets put in my special "Spammer" contact, that has a silent ringtone.

So, no. No, I did not.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes you get a letter. I tried to explain this to her and she wouldn't have any of it. It wasn't till I printed out the scam from the internet that she beleived me. I also tried to explain she wasn't rich enough for the IRS to give a shit

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Andy Jackson tried to stop this kind of thing.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Didn't read the article.

Dot or feather?

8. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Dot.

I got the automated call.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Bastards. I've got the TVA text scams recently.

10. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

This is just as bad as the Microsoft scams we deal with on a daily basis. Most of the time, they target people over 55 for that one. They have seriously effed up some computers we have seen.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The one time I dealt with this, actually TRS, they showed up at my house Friday afternoon and taped a note to my door telling me I'm screwed and to call this tax agent immediately. Of course I get home after five and no one answers. So I have to worry about this crap all weekend. Said that I'd ignored multiple requests to have me pay some paltry sum. That was an outright lie. No one had ever attempted to contact me. I was pretty pissed. But no, they didn't contact me over the phone.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I get this call from time to time as well as This is ______ from cardholder services.... and This is Windows Support and we have detected a problem with your computer...

I talk to them sometimes just to jerk them around and waste their time as i suspect they are paid some sort of commission.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Irs will always initially contact you via letter. Always.

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I got this call.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

They left me a voicemail.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Slightly different topic, but someone called my mom this morning looking for her to transfer money to them in Ohio to pay for bail. The individual claimed to be her grandson and used my son's name. She was wise to it, but it scared her a bit. Considering my son is 13 and doesn't know anyone in Ohio, it wasn't difficult. Still a bit concerning though considering they used my son's name and called her by a specific familiar name that the kids have used since they were little.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

probably hacked her email. I get fake emails from client's actual email accounts asking for wire transfers fairly often. they'll use the same syntax as the client.

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Now we know why Trump is being audited. These bastards got to him.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

We need to go to war against overseas fraud.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Did you do a google search on the number they called from? Cause that's part of the process too.