Insane? Perhaps. Evil? Possibly. Genius? Absolutely!

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, I just paid some of that

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They're responding by limiting market access while using their position of power for personal gain.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Just realized I screwed up and the K-1 for my LLC was wrong. going to have to file an amended return once I get it sorted out and pay another $2K in taxes and maybe fines. F me

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those corporate tax rates are high, unless you are a large successful corporation.

I had to turn in a K-1 too. Sucks.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That's just absurd. Not everyone could do the apple game even if they wanted to. You are arguing the exception proves the rule. The oil companies much shit on for this pay twice apples tax rate which is a crapload higher than most Americans pay.

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I think I found the most recent Tesla thread to share this piece. Quite long and overly detailed at times (might want to skip to part 3), but a very good read.

How Tesla will change the world

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I thought we had a long discussion about how to hide money. Reporting profits to the government is like so 2014.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yes.

Also, space and time are literally the exact same thing. The reason I know that is because they made a new word called 'spacetime'.

Q.E.D.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The electric car has been around since the early 20th century.

I doubt the electric car will ever replace the combustion engine. Americas will not want the charge times, so it'll be some other power source that will eventually win out imo.

Compressed air is really interesting and could be done cheaply with a lot of potential.

10. gcbvol

That's a big part of this story, though. The general technology has been around but we are now seeing more rapid and targeted innovation by guys like Musk. Tesla's supercharger network is a game changer. Yes, it still takes longer to recharge than to fill a tank but the Tesla stations charge at a rate of ~6 miles/minute (free). Not to mention that most of the population can easily complete their average daily driving on one charge. Musk also plans to work with other EV makers to leverage the network. I agree this is a drawback, but not as significant as many believe.

Of course if we were only talking about every EV other than Tesla, both the significantly lower range and longer charging time would 100% support that opinion.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd buy one if it was cost competitive, but it ain't and i'm not sure it will ever be.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Technology has to start somewhere.

13. gcbvol

Our lease is up in 4 months and we've pretty much decided to go electric. I totally understand the cost issue, but they're still targeting 2017 for release of the model 3. If/when they do offer a model in the 30s it will be a game changer. I'm not betting against Musk.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's not just the technology it's also the cost of electricity. hybrids are a nice alternative, but you still have to drive a shitload a year to justify the cost difference and they aren't as reliable long term.

15. CardinalVol

I'm going to play wait and see with tesla. Until this point I was 100% in agreement with you, but I'm interested to see what musk can do.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think the guy is brilliant, but I still think we won't see them be cost competitive unless the gas price goes crazy and the electricity price doesn't do the same. the technology is improving leaps and bounds, but isn't he still losing money per car? how does he get it down to 35K or whatever? my argument has far less to do with musk than it does the economics.

17. gcbvol

The biggest lever in terms of cost involves the batteries. My understanding is Tesla's gigafactory is the key. Once they are producing their own batteries along with their own R&D that cost is expected to come down quite a bit. I'm not sure they'll have everything ready for 2017, but we'll see.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

makes sense.

19. CardinalVol

Thats my very limited understanding as well.

Curious to see if he can get the solar power connectivity with it as well.

In my mind it all makes sense in theory. It's just a matter of getting there, which I think someone can.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Same here.