IRS never targeted conservative groups

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 6, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That doesn’t make sense either. You don’t need to invoke a constitutional right that protects you from incriminating yourself if telling the truth exonerates you.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, so pleading the 5th means your guilty. I will remember that.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’ve asked you to explain it. You’ve failed.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Explain pleading the 5th? I see a statement of it making no sense, not you asking me to explain it.

The claim and the settlement is in regards to whether conservative groups were targeted. That turns out to not be the case, when examining all rejected applications. More "liberal" applicants were rejected than conservative.

An official would plea the 5th if they think what they had to say would hurt the case. Like let's say a poster here was called before congress to testify on a matter of their thoughts on Butch Jones, relative to an accusation that they had treated him unfairly in some sort of official capacity. Let's say they absolutely didn't, and followed a set protocol regardless of the application. Will it be a good idea to respond to testimony as to an 8th poster's thoughts on Jones, his coaching ability, etc? Nope. You don't have to be a witness against yourself. The 5th.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You plead the fifth to avoid incriminating yourself. Expressing an opinion cannot incriminate you.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Lawyers exist to twist words and statements to make it look like you're guilty as hell. Several innocent people plead the fifth, just like several innocent people never take the stand in a court room.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Your opinions on the person/groups in question can be used against you as a motive. You don't have to be a witness against yourself, so you don't have to provide answers to questions you believe will be used against you, i.e. incriminate you. Self-incrimination does not equate to being guilty.

Here's a brief article on exactly this: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/pleading-the-fifth-lois-lerner-irs.html