Is It Okay For People To Be Racist Privately?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 28, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Damnit. He got me.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Descendants of those we enslaved, and whose involuntary and unpaid efforts we owe a significant portion of our current wealth and status.

Maybe we could have done it all without slaves, I don't know.

What I do know is that we did it with slaves, and that debt is owed, and should be paid.

3. Tenacious D

Not being an elected official, I haven't conceived how how they are to be paid, how much and to whom.

But that they are owed is beyond argument, IMO.

4. Tenacious D

Does the law not make some allowance for the recoupment of debts by descendants?

5. Tenacious D

Not trolling.

Anyone who wishes to argue that we should be allowed to enslave a race of people for 400 years, at all and without cost or penalty, much less to do so in the building of the greatest nation the world has ever seen, and who now possesses enough money and power as to make Solomon blush - come at me.

6. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Slaves didnt make the USA great. Wtf.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The price was paid in blood and scares that may never truly heal. It was an abomination for the country built around the freedom of the individual to allow certain individuals to be enslaved, and slavery is the second ugliest blemish on our country's history.

8. Tenacious D

The USA is great, and slavery aided us in that effort.

What's so difficult to understand (admit) about that?

9. Tenacious D

So, as long as we are sincere in being sorry, all is well?

10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

That's not what you said. And many shitty countries owned slaves and still do. It obviously didnt work for them.

No reparations are owed. Maybe over 100 years ago I would agree.

11. Tenacious D

That is precisely what I said.

But it did work for us, and quite swimmingly. Didn't it?

And if we could have achieved the same - or better - results without the aide of slavery, please then explain how you believe that we still felt compelled to own slaves?

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The tab is clean. The parties that were owed are long gone, and their descendants have full rights and benefits in this country now.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tenny, one way to do it would be free trade school and college. Just saying.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is the tab clean for the families TVA forced off their land? Or for native Americans? I strongly believe it isn't.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If you include Melungeons, I'll be all for it. We were called "Mountain N-words" after all.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

One could set a value of what an ancestor was owed in say 1865, adjust for inflation, then genetically work out descendants and divvy it up. That way someone with 1 quarter ancestry would still get a piece, but someone who has ancestors who were all slaves would get more. Don't know if we have the technology yet, but that would be one way that anyone saying "maybe then but no one alive today" could be negotiated with, since they already conceded money was owed to the people then.

17. Tenacious D

We certainly could, but I prefer straight cash.

If they want to use that cash for schooling, perfect. If not, then whatever they choose. I think that we've limited their choices enough, already, however well-intentioned.

Maybe both. How about all state universities have to give four free years of education to every person who is awarded reparations?

And, again, I'm going to say this: There is no punch line coming. There is no other shoe to drop. I am not lulling everyone to sleep so as to jar them awake by going in some other and unexpected philosophical direction. I 100% believe that the United States of America owes all slave descendants reparations, and that this debt not only can be tabulated, but most importantly, that it should be paid.

18. Tenacious D

I think it goes beyond that, to some degree.

If you steal my copyrighted material, you owe me "X" for that theft.

If you then use that material for your own profit, then you also owe me "Y" of whatever value you gained.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Our treatment of Native Americans is the one thing that overshadows slavery, IMO. However, I don't see how you can put a value and write a check to cover our sins in the past.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  20. Richard Dick

Richard Dick New Member

This will literally never happen.