Jerry Sandusky and the PSU scandal

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WM, Nov 5, 2011.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think so too. And things were different in the 70s and 80s in ragards to this shit. Doesn't mean they get pass for botching the handling of it, but it was a differnt time.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

But a kid comes and reports it. Says the POS stuck a thumb up his ass?

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

4. kidbourbon

"Oh that's just slappy being slappy."

5. kidbourbon

I think Paterno knew, but I don't know that all of these reports should be considered 100% credible. There's gonna be a tendency to spread the blame around, and a story can get a bit embellished 35 years after the fact.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

There is no doubt he knew. There is no excuse for him letting that piece of trash around kids at camp and other assorted youngsters.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bare minimum reasonable reaction would be not believing the kid, but certainly questioning why Sandusky was so fond of youngsters. Then you watch him like a hawk and fairly quickly realize what's going on and put a stop to it. Joe just didn't give a shit.

8. kidbourbon

I don't think "not giving a shit" is the best way to characterize it. I'm sure Joe had strong suspicions going way back, and just went with a strategy of active avoidance to keep plausible deniability intact.

Mere apathy would likely result in him walking into a locker room and hearing some rhythmic slapping at some point(s).

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you aren't thinking like a guy who grew up in an era where you just didn't ask those questions or get into other people's business. how many priests were allowed to go along doing this shit without people intervening? that doesn't make it right or ok btw. joe was far more worried about his football program than what his employees were doing outside of it. stupid and negligent absolutely and he should have done something, but not unusual for that time.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah, that should have kicked it into a different mindset even given the idea that things were different during that time than now. I don't think anyone is making excuses for why it wasn't firmly addressed but the idea that this was just happening in the shadows and hoping that it wasn't going on is obviously false.

Sick.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A guy ****ing little boys in the shower should have been stopped even if times were different. I think He just valued his program over anything else and just turned a blind eye to it.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Agreed on both counts. Its sad what someone is willing to let go over a legacy involving a game.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

completely agree

14. cpninja

cpninja Member

I hope JoePa is rotting in hell right now and Penn St. deserves to have their football program burnt to the ground

Its absolutely sickening how a program can be so obsessed with itself that they let a child molester have free reign inside their facilities for years just to keep the money train going

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

If there was any chance for JoePa getting through this with honor that is now gone. The man was sleeze bag in every part of life that mattered most.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Monstrous. He's as much a cause for that continuing for decades as Sundusky. It was his responsibility as a man to not look the other way while a predator did this. I wish he were alive to see his legacy inverted to the lowest most despicable coach widely known.

17. kidbourbon

If I were to ever become a world-famous* EDM producer, my DJ name will be "Horseplay". My first album will be entitled "rhythmic slapping", and this will also be the name of one of the tracks -- preferably the strongest one, as I would also like this to be the first single I release.

18. kidbourbon

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I was born in 1981 and distinctly remember my parents telling us where grownups were not allowed to touch us and if one of them ever does to tell them immediately.

20. kidbourbon

Did they say that while helping you get your balls all nice and soapy? That is normal for a father to help his son take a shower up to a certain age, yes? I sure hope so. Be a bummer to find out pops is pervy.