John Brice update on Butch/Michigan

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Oct 28, 2014.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I get your point and wouldn't want Joey Jones at UT in the least but the dude has done pretty good things for an upstart football program. This will probably be met with curse words and venom but I don't care. There's actually several guys out there that I think can coach their ass off and wouldn't mind seeing them get a shot. I like Pat Narduzzi and someone is going to give him the big job in the next couple of years. With the defensive recruits that we have this year, it would be fun to see what he could do with the talent. I like Mike Norvell too.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like Narduzzi and Norvell. If I'm Michigan, I'm pestering Schiano until he files a restraining order.

Jones has built USA into a decent program, but I don't want him anywhere near here.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kyle Whittingham, maybe?

Les Miles is realistic, imo.

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

You think Miles can recruit in an area where he will have to fight Meyer for every 5 star available? Serious question. I just don't think Miles could get it done in Michigan.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Utah is definitely going to implode and he hasn't exactly been great before this year. I suppose he beat them, so maybe that accounts for something.

Why didn't he go there before then?

6. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

4. nyy is wr coach.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Whittingham is the name to watch, IMO.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

But that isn't the question. Does Michigan know that?

9. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Braden Gall (Athlon Sports) said the exact same thing on Nashville radio (104.5) not two weeks ago. All of the mid-major schools with potential up-and-coming HC's have been raided over the last 5 years, leaving a very young and inexperienced bunch; naming Jones as one of the last to be plucked from such a program.

You're right...but Schiano wouldn't be a bad choice, right? He put together a pretty damn good run at Rutgers...

If you're Michigan, do you contact Cutcliffe? You cannot deny the job he's done at Duke...

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Utah finishes:

@ Arizona State
    Oregon
    @ Stanford
    Arizona
    @ Colorado

They've beaten:

Idaho state (terrible)
    Fresno State (terrible)
    Michigan (who's terrible)
    UCLA (not great) - win by 2 points
    OSU (terrible) - win by 6 points
    USC (not great) - win by 3 points

Lost to:

WSU at home (terrible)

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Schiano was barely cracking .500 at Rutgers by the end. I could see them hiring him, but I doubt he'd be a winner there.

Cutcliffe seems happy at duke and is old.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's only 60. He's got a few years left in him.

I've heard/seen somewhere that LSU would be interested in him if Miles jumped. Dunno if I believe it. Also don't know if he wants to give up the gig he's got right now.

13. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Well, so is Bill Snyder...but then, he has ties to KSU. Cut won't leave Duke but, if you're Michigan, you have to at least do your due diligence and make inquires. He's not flashy but he gets the job done.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

60 is old for college football.

seems like he's been around the block enough to know that he's at a place where 6-6 is considered a miracle and where he probably doesn't have to put in the same hours he would at lsu.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Many Kansas state alums didn't want Snyder back. what he's doing is truly unprecedented.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

82-40 all-time. 7-1 in bowls (Coached the Fiesta for Urban in 2005. 2-0 BCS bowls). He's got some decent career numbers, though most of the positives are from the MW years.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

His exit from Ole Miss had a lot to do with him not giving enough of a crap about what AD and boosters thought. He was told to present some sort of plan to bring Ole Miss back following a disappointing post-Eli season and he refused. I'm sure he understands he'd be getting even more scrutiny at a place like LSU. Duke seems like the perfect fit for him. Less competition. Less work. Less expectation.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they've sucked in the pac-12 until this year and are likely to finish outside of the top 20 this year.

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I should have said something about having decent career numbers, though most of the positives are from his MW years.

20. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I could see Schiano being a pretty realistic option for Michigan if/when they whiff on Harbaugh. He's got the NFL and college background that they seem to want and he was moderately successful at Rutgers before he left.

I just looked up the buyouts for Butch and Hoke. If Butch leaves at the end of year 2, he would owe UT $4m. If Hoke is fired before Dec. 31, he will be owed $3m by Michigan. So that's $7m up front before you even get into Butch & staff's contract at UM. He's making $3.2m this year at Tennessee, with a $3m pool for his staff. I would imagine that Michigan would have to put his base salary above the $4.2m that they are paying Hoke right now and you know that Butch would likely demand more money for his assistants too.

I know Michgan has deep pockets but that is a lot of money to tie up in a guy that would probably be considered a disappointing hire by the Michigan population. They could get Schiano with less hassle and it would be cheaper in the short term. He would undoubtably be a bigger name, which is what Michigan seems to really be looking for.