Jon Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 27, 2015.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That was free

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Im almost 100% positive the timing on that is not accurate. The preliminary numbers were being discussed (non UT officials "officially") before Dooley was terminated.

Gruden mania was well under way before Strong was ever mention publicly.

3. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Don't know Hart but I struggle with (b). If I am an AD, I know that my wagon is hitched to the boosters. It is just part of the job. I also know that if I make a major decision against the advice of the boosters, I am a dead man walking. Even if that decision turns out to be a good one, they will find a separate bad decision (Tyndall) to use against me. Unless I have other boosters (Haslam?) on my side of that major decision...

Bottom line, no way Hart and Cheek had full reign to hire Dooley's replacement.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They didn't, but they also had about 40% of the big time players backing them.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

As I said in previous post, some donor's think the AD should be left alone to do their job, especially if they have some deep held reservations about ceding too much power to one coach themselves.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My favorite story was by Hubbs during the coaching search.

He said Gruden had been in contact with some assistants and that it would have a Tennessee theme to it. Then, a week later we have Butch.

Why the hell would Gruden be in touch with lifetime college coaches if he was getting ready to assemble a staff for anything but the Tennessee job?

7. Beechervol

Thread needs to be locked.

8. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Ok, that makes sense. Any idea of the kinds of power Gruden was wanting that Jones does not have?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pretty much all of it, in regards to the football program.

10. Beechervol

The deniers (that he was ever a thought or possibly interested) can't answer that.

11. CardinalVol

Total control of football. IIRC, final say of who was admitted and not, personal scheduling, etc.

I don't remember the full details of authority, but that's the gist.

12. Beechervol

Probably similar to what you see with the elite names. Saban, Meyer..etc

13. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Well who the hell wants that?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't think of one thing within the athletic department I would feel the need to keep beyond Gruden's control. Can anyone think of even one thing?

15. CardinalVol

Maybe he likes Maxwell House coffee. We need to keep that out of his control if so.

16. Beechervol

Those that have to build new trophy cases.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd be fine with him relocating the female locker room showers into a room adjacent to the glass wall side of his office. Give him whatever the hell he wants and get out of the way.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just checking them for melanoma. It's about health.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I wish I was a loofah

20. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Admissions. Whoever is coach deserves a major say and ability to present why a kid should be admitted when on paper there is a reason not to, but it is still a school. Other than that, I just don't understand what type of "control" is at issue. Hell, Jones got away with hiring Debord. If that is not complete control of the football program, I don't know what is.