Knoxville Eateries

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by reVOLt, Oct 30, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I thought those specials just applied to the Cumberland Grill area of the restaurant. Did they work downstairs too?

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

They used to, not sure if they do anymore. I also think they bumped up the price of burgers to $5.50.

Plus, I always used to confuse the two.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

OCI isn't dead. Just moved up The Strip and changed the name, for legal reasons, to Goalpost Tavern. Same folks, same menu.

4. 247VOL365

247VOL365 New Member

Ott's has opened another location on Papermill.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Why did they have to change the name?

6. hatvol96

Vol Market #3: The Most Heavily Armed Deli Staff On The Planet.

7. CD12

CD12 Member

Now that you mention it I never knew what the food at Timeout Deli actually tasted like....that place still around?

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hahaha. So true. I always wanted some kid to swipe a candy bar while I was in there just to see what would happen.

9. hatvol96

A friend of mine used to live just across Western from there and we'd go in VM3 a lot. I once told those guys that if I had a terminal illness and couldn't stand the pain, I'd simply put on a ski mask and walk in announcing a stick up. They assured me I'd achieve the desired result.

10. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Ah-ha --- it was called Animal Hour.... you could get all sorts of shitty in that hour.

11. InVolNerable

Was that where Charlie Peppers/Roaming Gnome is located? Never heard of Hawkeyes, but CP/RG both had "Animal Hours"

12. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Yep, Hawkeyes was before Charlie Peppers... no clue about the Roaming Gnome.

Anyone ever play horseshoes at Toddy's?

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No, Hawkeye's was off of 17th across from White Street from what used to be Sawyer's/whatever chicken place went in after it. Caddy-corner to Clement Hall.

Gosh, I guess it closed down in 99? 2000?

14. CardinalVol

Still do on rare occasion.

15. InVolNerable

That's abandoned now. There is an arcade bar right next to it filled with like Pacman, Galaga, and other games that would help all you old guys feel like you were in college again.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They changed the name thought, right? Any idea why?

17. CardinalVol

I was told that the brothers split, one took the liquor store down the road and one kept the tavern, but the name went with the liquor store. Not 100% sure (heck, not even close), but was what I was told.

Edit - I just asked a guy who frequented the place during the split, and that is what happened.

18. hatvol96

That was the original Ruby Tuesday's

19. hatvol96

The old Hawkeye's building is now open as a tiki themed bar. By my unofficial count, that's at least 5 different concepts since Hawkeye's closed.

20. CardinalVol

When did the original close down?

When I was in college it was where Chipotle is now. They had two for one drafts for $1.50. Never understood why they didn't advertise that more.