Lane Kiffin FAU Presser

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Hoss Diesel, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Hoss Diesel

Hoss Diesel New Member

The whole presser is worth watching. He mentions his remarks to Urban Meyer when he was at UT, lots of Nick Saban praising, and he even says "building this [FAU] brick by brick". He prostrates himself to Saban throughout saying he will be at the Alabama staff meeting the next day after his presser.

I don't take a black & white, love/hate view of Lane Kiffin. He is definitely a flawed figure and his time at Tennessee was problematic. But I do think he has grown and is a quality coach. I definitely think he's better than Butch Jones. But to the point of this post, I respect his opinion and view on Saban.

But this biggest thing I noticed was this story:

https://youtu.be/WJEA98koY14?t=26m31s

"People have this assumption, that Coach Saban is stubborn and he's just going to do things a certain way. And I get credit for the offense. But I give credit to him (Saban). He was the one that wanted to change. He said, 'We're not going the right direction. This is not where college football is going.' And as much as he couldn't stand where it's going on offense, as much as he dislikes it, he was not going to be stubborn...and so we changed."

And that, my fellow Vol fans, is why Saban is Saban, and Butch is Butch. Of course, there are a million other reasons why. But the overarching, fundamental problem with Butch Jones in the SEC is that he struggles to learn, acknowledge reality, then adapt and change. Both in game, and year over year.

And what does Saban do when Lane Kiffin leaves? Reloads with Steve Sarkisian. Yes, another flawed coach. But I think he will be very successful, and there is almost no chance that he will get out of line under Saban. Sarkisian will rehabilitate his image and grow as a coach just like Kiffin did.

As long as we have Butch and Alabama has Nick Saban, we will be playing for second best. And we'll continue to lose at that game too. Shitty time to be a Vol fan, but what else is new?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We're playing for 2nd in the east, about 4th or 5th in the sec

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The SEC East runner-up trophy isn't as nice as the 1st place, but the rings are pretty fantastic.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Are trying to ruin my Sunday morning?

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Dude, the Phins dominated the [dadgum] Jets last night, in the cold, with a backup QB. Enjoy your Sunday.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

True. I tuned in last night just as the third quarter started. That was a great fifteen minutes.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Clearly Saban's system is not infallible.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Post of the Year.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

And butch's isn't completely flawed. So what?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Joke. Butch has referred to his system as infallible. Thus, there is no need for change. Saban making all these changes just demonstrates his system is not infallible.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oops, my bad.

12. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Sark is pretty risky. He was drunk as shit in Atlanta for the SECCG

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban will lock him in his office

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Just make it slightly more interesting. Instead of winning by 40 they'll win by 30.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's also a shitty playcaller.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Heard this somewhere, too.
    But many believe that Kiffin "keeping his nose clean" the last 3 years in Tuscaloosa was the product of his own maturation, when in fact, it's just a testament to how well Saban keeps anyone and everyone in Tuscaloosa in line. It'll be the same with Sark.

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by keeping his nose clean but I doubt Kiffin has.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Did he publicly embarrass himself?

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Do you mean in his capacity as a coach or in his personal life? If we're just talking coaching then yeah, he toed the line pretty well.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

outside of getting divorced what did he do in his private life that was that horrible? unless you mean internet rumors.