Lebroning

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jun 7, 2014.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't understand why people freak out over "the decision". Had he done that as a 18 year old with a Duke, Ohio State, and Chaminade hat sitting on a table, everyone would have ate it up. It should be a non-issue.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think that's bush league too.

Now get the hell off my lawn you snot nosed punks...

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Eh. I figure the majority of these kids we will never really hear from again, it's tacky and outplayed but I can't really fault a 17 year old for wanting that attention.

4. JayVols

I understand it, but elevating 17 year-olds to that level is not often healthy for lack of a better term. It's bigger thsn just the specific event, but it tends to cause unstable 30-40 year-old men to write love letters to these kids when things get out of hand with the publicity.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I quoted you, but wasn't directed to you. There may be a few Lebron haters here on the 8th, but if you really wanna get immersed in some Lebron hate, just go to the more sports board on tigerdroppings, click on any of the 5 or 6 thread titles that pertain to the Heat or Lebron (they'll be right there on the first page, likely), and then sit back and enjoy the shit-slinging contest.

6. GahLee

I agree. I definitely think that college recruiting has gone too far. I don't visit Rivals or 247 anymore because it's just a bit too much.

7. kidbourbon

I keep up with it, but the day you add a 17 year old kid as your facebook friend or twitter follow, you should just go ahead and swan dive off a 15 story building. All parties will be better off as a result.

8. JayVols

No problem. I didn't take it personal. I don't understand hating James. He's never given a reason for me to think that he's a bad guy. In fact, all indications are he's a really good dude.

9. GahLee

Agreed. It's beyond pathetic.

10. GahLee

I may visit the team rankings page from time to time but I'm not scouring through their profiles.

11. JayVols

[​IMG]

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I followed it pretty closely for a few years, but realized in retrospect that the majority of prized recruits (at least at UT) never end up contributing. Seems so silly in hindsight, getting all worked up about Chris Donald, David Oku, Walter Fisher, Slick Shelly, and on and on. Just not worth the time for me...I'll wait to get to know who they are when/if they ever produce.

13. kidbourbon

Yeah, I take more of a holistic approach. You still end up learning a lot of their names along the way, but I try to keep the focus on the class as a hole rather than, say, on Sammy Superstar, the 5-star CB out of Atlanta who made friends Franky Freshman last year at UT's Junior/Senior camp and who's mom is rumored to be having unprotected relations with the defensive coordinator's half brother, who's wife went reverse cowgirl on Sammy's HS assistant coach, etc. etc.

14. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Problem is he can't stand to be polarizing. He wants everyone to like him.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, that's sad

16. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Knew a guy who was a big Nebraska fan. He and his buddies would organize trips to go watch the All American games. They'd hang out in the lobby of the players hotel with Nebraska gear hoping recruits would come up and talk to them so they could tell them how great Nebraska was and how much they wanted them.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's got problems

18. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Yep. At the games they'd make a point to go meet the families and show them some love. They were so into it the University has given them instructions on how to interact with recruits, i.e. they could not initiate contact or give the recruit anything.

They kicked around the idea of wearing OU gear and giving recruits money then reporting the violations to get OU in trouble.

19. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

that's sad on a lot of levels.

20. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member