Let's say that Butch gets canned this year...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by ptclaus98, Sep 19, 2016.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Hart should be tarred & feathered then ran out on a rail immediately.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's a mid tier coach for mid tier schools. He'll go back to the MAC and when 7 or 8 games, recruit extremely well for their standard and make a million or so. He'll keep Azzanni and a few others, hire Jancek back and coach for another 15 years or so.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I will be happy for him. Find your niche. Not everyone is bound for greatness, and that is OK. I am Ok with typing this in an office of a local Community College in Knoxville TN, unknown and making jack squat for money.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He really does work his ass off, he's just not good at it. He's a dork, he really is. He just wants to be accepted.

5. JayVols

Acceptance can be achieved by winning games like Florida and Alabama not [itch bay]ing about negative press coverage and sophomoric cliches.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He can't do those things, at least consistently. Worst, he knows it better than anyone else.

He lacks the chops. Period.

So, when you can't succeed at actually building a program that consistently beats rivals, wins more than half of your big games and routinely competes for championships, well my friend, you had better get damned good at a lot of other and secondary things, such as cliches, excuses, being a "good representative of the University", etc. etc. Not because that will work, or will ultimately matter, but simply to first delay and then to explain away your inevitable exposure as a complete fraud.

As expectations are antithetical to this plan, you can also see why he is so capably adept at tamping those down, and at every opportunity.

That's all he's doing, and all he's done since he was hired - extending the clock, hoping a lucky bounce here or there buys him more time.

7. Tenacious D

Basilio, for whatever you may think it's worth, basically called it after the Ohio game - if he doesn't beat Florida this Saturday, he won't be in Knoxville beyond next season. If this next four game stretch is particularly bad, I'll be inclined to think that's an overly-optimistic timeframe.

JMHO.

8. JayVols

Problem is, he has been horrible with the vast majority of this since day 1 to anyone with any sort of rudimentary bullshit detector at all.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would feel kind of bad for him if he didn't coach here.

10. NorrisAlan

As a fellow human being, I hate to see anyone suffering, and I truly believe he is suffering (as we all are). I just don't think he is self-aware enough to know what is causing it.

I would like to see him leave on his own and find a nice small school to coach at, now that he has a bank full of our money. Just do it soon.

11. JayVols

I actually have a lot of compassion for people in general. Hard to believe, but it's true. No way I survive 23 years or be the least bit successful in my profession without it.

Having said that, I have absolutely zero compassion/sympathy/empathy or whatever else you want to call it, for one Lyle (Butch) Jones. ZERO. He is where he is by his own doing. Anything that happens to him comes from his own hands. Plus, he's getting paid $4 million per to be a botched abortion at his job. I can't have anything but disdain for that.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't have compassion for any coach who has been paid enough money to make their children rich for life.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Disagree. The fans would love that. Of course, even if we did that same thing except made a terrible hire, a lot of fans would try to argue that was also a great move.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

As soon as any new hire is announced, folks quickly jump on the bandwagon and start talking smack about Butch.

15. JayVols

See my edit. I thought of that before I read your post.

16. NorrisAlan

Yep. As long as he is coach here, it seems people are obligated to defend him. **** him.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Basilio loves to spin a sensationalistic yarn. Good for ratings.

18. NorrisAlan

There is a reason he has a bajillion old school wrastlin' tapes.

19. Tenacious D

Tenny D's Rules of Life: #1
    If people are still talking about your old coach, after you've hired the new coach, you just hired a shitty coach.

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Pictures of Gruden in a Tennessee visor with the UT/Pat Summitt face paint floating around Twitter. The Vol Network first pushed it out.