Local Radio Callers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Anyone know Hitch? Cattleman? Small Mike (isn't he a real estate agent or something)?

I don't know if I agree with most, or any, of what they typically say...but I love to hear them get on the air.

2. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

Unfortunately, Mike's calls are usually filled with stuff he made up.

3. Tenacious D

And I heard this gem the other day, from 99's own Heather Harrington, when asking Coach Martin a question (as verbatim as I can recall):

HH: "Coach, do you think that Connecticut will try to get some turnovers?"
    CCM: "Uh, yes. I think that they will.".

CCM then sort of bailed her out by elaborating on their ability to selectively pressure, etc., but his response went entirely beyond the absolutely asinine question she asked.

There wasn't any larger context, the media wasn't focusing on turnovers of our difficulty with pressure....shit just came straight out of left field.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Don't know any of them and typically turn off the radio when they come on. However, yes, Mike is (at least was) a commercial real estate agent at one time.

5. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

That whole 99.1 morning show is filled with the lowest common denominator. I quit listening sometime ago because of the sheer idiocy of those three. They know absolutely nothing about the current events in sports. Jacoby is the worst.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I adore that exchange. Brilliant journalism.

7. Tenacious D

You turn them off? It's the mainstream media equivalent of a donkey show, how do you not listen to that.

The three I turn off are:

Jim (older guy, really raspy voice....calls every single show....every single day) who tells everyone that they are the best.

The Guy (no idea what his name is) who calls in each afternoon and it sounds like he's auditioning for a gig...goes over every inch of the sports page, and practically interviews the hosts.

Heaven help me, I don't mean this to be ugly - I seriously don't - but I can't make it through Roger. He sounds like a wonderful kid, he probably has a brighter day when he calls and gets on the air...but his stuttering is just too painful. But I would still prefer him to Roger, and The Guy.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

All three of them simultaneously manage to be "the worst." It is a feat that baffles even the greatest physicists.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I actually find it more tolerable the mornings Dierstone isn't there for some reason. Jacoby doesn't drive me nearly as crazy as the other 2.

10. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

Chris? He meets all the criteria you mentioned and calls everyday, a few times a day. I think he calls every show as well. I hope it's Chris you're talking about.

11. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

What's the over/under on the number of times a day Mickey Deerstone says, "That's not what I'm saying."?

I put it at 184.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Give me the over. I'm sure he says it at least 100 times in a men's room stall when negotiating a rendezvous on any given weekday.

13. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

Speaking of Heather Harrington, you guys think Jeff Jacoby is hittin' dat ass?

14. Tenacious D

No.

And that concludes the list. Allegedly.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Heather likes to repeat what others say, but add a "sooooo". Worthless.

Erik Ainge has a better show.

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Knoxville callers cant be worse than Nashville callers.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I had some pretty epic calls to Basilio's show back in the day.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I've been hung up on in a couple of major markets for doing this. Pretty fun though.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've lived in both cities and Knoxville not only has dumber callers, the hosts are dumber too

20. Tenacious D

Who was that absolute hack who used to write for someone around here - the AP, maybe?

Griff cleaned that shit-kickers clock and, if I'm not mistaken, sent him back to middle TN with his tail between his legs.

I can't recall the guys name. He was kind of like Rex, but with more plagiarism.

Drawing a blank.