Mama's Boys Talkin' Cookin'

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Oct 18, 2018.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

tbh last time I went to the one on jackson ave it wasn’t as good as I remembered

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

A cute story. We wanted to take my dad out to eat a while back. My wife and daughter wanted Chinese food, so we decided to go to a place in Turkey Creek. My dad starts the little complaints, not that he doesn't want to go there, but a couple of things about going there on a Friday night, the wait time is going to be crazy. I was like, if it's a long wait, we'll go somewhere else. Well we get there and the lady says something like, it's going to be about 5 or 10 minutes, because we had 10 people. That got him going. Well it ended up being like 3 and a half minutes. We are sitting down eating and he's still talking about the wait. I said, Dad, when we go out to eat in Miami, its 45 minutes to an hour, no matter where you go on a Friday night. He says, I don't know why you live down there. I'm like, mother[uck fay]er, because you moved us down there when we were kids.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Gotta get there about 11:45.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

In my experience they can be fairly inconsistent. I’ve had awesome brisket there and brisket I’d have been ashamed to share with a friend after telling them it was good.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I had pork, but I feel you

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don’t think the pork is really anything special.

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Depends. Bacon...well it's bacon. Cured pork like salami and prosciutto, man I love that that stuff.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Commercial pork isn't all that great IMO.

But if you can find a local farmer that raises them with access to forage. It's as good as meat gets. It's amazing what the difference in fats does for the taste.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I went to a Spanish deli type place, they had hams that were in the 6 to 700 coconut range.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Buying direct from a farm is a fraction of the cost, too.

Find a hog farmer and someone to scald it, and you’re probably still paying less than 1/2 price of what a store / butcher charges.

justingroves likes this.
  11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Can't the farmer just kill the pig without the embarrassment of telling it it's been behaving bad too? j/k

12. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Some of those things take 6 months to cure(at least prosciutto does). I don't know if I'd drop that kind of money on something like that, but I'd bet it's damn tasty.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was drooling over them. The guy was telling me they're some kind of special pig that only eat walnuts if I remember. He said the ones he sold were midrange hams. Oh how I wanted to try that ham.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tell him his mother is a midrange ham, triggering a food fight. Boom, free midrange ham delivered at your face.

PilotFlyingJ and kmf600 like this.
  15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

16. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Yeah, I've heard about that ham... Couple places in Atlanta have them but I just can't see throwing down that type of money for one... They are supposed to be the best tasting pig on the planet.

I've had Wagyu a few times, it was good but I wouldn't kill my mother for a piece of it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well that's a relief.

kmf600 likes this.
  18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

20. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

3/4 of this thread needs to be split off into a Mama's Boys Talkin' Cookin' thread.