Michael Sam Is Gay.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by LawVol13, Feb 9, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Speak English when you're calling folks at my office morons. I'll assure you, the only person there you might equal is our admin assistant.

2. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Well, I thought I would stop by and say that I am enjoying my government granted day off quite thoroughly. You can't beat an afternoon episode of Gunsmoke followed by a nap.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agreed.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was hoping UT would be closed so I could still go in to my govt job and get OT pay. What does that make me?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

100% wrong about him every time

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Once again, I don't feel the need to prove anything to you. I simply enjoy when you start assuming shit about me and all your little stereotypes crumble away. I take that back, actually. You were right about one thing; I'm not Jeremiah Johnson.

7. Unimane

Point taken on that one. However, it does liven up the day.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You saying so means crap. Makes it most likely that I'm dead on the money. Was 100% wrong about our admin - she works.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

sorry I couldn't respond to all. Was posting from my phone and listening, so limited time.

What it makes you depends heavily upon your political views. If you're knee jerk lefty incapable of seeing the forest for the trees, probably an idiot.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm a conservative Christian white bigot.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

then probably an idiot with a govt job.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

so hateful

13. Unimane

Of course, you saying so equals fact. Gotcha. And your admin is probably Bass, so I don't think so on the working part.

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I should probably break it apart to better explain.

First, I think hate-fueled slurs are pretty much equal on the surface. They're all disgusting whether they be motivated by race, gender, sexual orientation or others. In this way they are the same.

The reason I personally feel racial slurs are more significant is because of the history and magnitude of hate and suffering endured. Gay people have absolutely endured hate, discrimination and dehumanization; there is history. However, it does not compare to the level and magnitude of hate and treatment levied based on race. The volume of victims is also dissimilar. Now, if gay people were unable to hide who they are might history have been different? Perhaps, but I'm not sure about that.

My stance is derived by including the historical volume and severity of treatment endured by the target groups. I'm sure the reasoning I use can be torn apart, but just the way I see it. Please don't take that as a diminishment of gay slurs - they are harmful and disgusting.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

your last paragraph is where I'm coming from, but I'd toss in absolute and unquivocal government sanctioning of said racism. The military hiding under morale and welfare isn't the same IMO. That doesn't in any way mean this is run of the mill type stuff that this kid is dealing with, but it isn't Jackie Robinson in segregated America either. I also think using the term "hate" relative to gays is probably too steep, while it very well applied in many instances of the race struggle - from both sides.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

my family supports me.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not really.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

A goldmine of BPV quotes in here. I particularly liked when Unimane said BPV's employees weren't drooling morons, and then BPV told him to speak English when calling his employees morons. Good times. "Knee-jerk" indeed.

My second favorite part of this exchange was when BPV said who JQK was "depended on his political views." Haha, quite revealing.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

did you read his comment? It was actually nonsensical.

I assume you're joking about the second piece, which was clearly directed at you and Uni and had nothing at all to do with JQK. I guarantee you he knew that.