Military Spending Cuts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Chuck Hagel is addressing the proposed cuts to the military recommended by the Pentagon today. Two different perceptions of the matter by the news services below.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/24/defense-department-to-cut-army-to-pre-ww-ii-size/?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/24/hagel-proposed-budget-will-reportedly-shrink-army-to-pre-wwii-numbers/

Personally, I find it about time that this happened. The problem of our "inability to fight protracted wars like Iraq and Afghanistan" rings hollow as, one, there's little reason for us to bother fighting those type of wars presently and, two, we could always ratchet up the numbers were a situation to arise.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The only real negative with ratcheting up later is that one study showing high school obesity levels to be so high as to make service difficult.

And the overall surge creating problems with too many newbies and too few NCOs.

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Spending cuts don't harm military readiness. Choking the soldier with ridiculous rules of engagement harms military readiness. The military wouldn't need all of these overwhelming numbers if they were allowed to execute the battle plan in the manner that it's envisioned.

I usually stay away from all of this shit because it upsets me to a point that I'm not comfortable with. Meaning, I begin to resent having to go to war for the same people who decry there is too much killing and our military are too callous and evil. When war comes to your doorstep and you see your friends blown the **** up ... then you get the right to tell me I'm callous. Otherwise ... stfu and enjoy your freedom.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

short term ratchet is impossible, but the mindset that any looming battle we have to be immediately prepared for is absurd and egregiously expensive. Only thing that should need enormous and immediate firepower is homeland defense against invaders. Anything else that's of enough strategic value can wait through a ramp up period.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't mind the cuts but it's all for nothing if SOP's aren't addressed. Taking away funding and expecting current procedures to work is setting us up for nothing but failure.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's sad

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I wonder if the time bomb of social spending is pushing this agenda. Hell the amount that we're just paying on interest is about to really take off as well.

I do support of pulling in and cutting the fat out of the military though.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think it is the start. But Social Security and Medicare are going to need a long hard look as well.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Report out yesterday said obesity rates in children are dropping a good deal quite unexpectedly.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe a corrective deal/ negative feedback.

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It seems, in my circle at least, that parents are trying to change their enabling ways with their overweight children. It seems like the general feeling of, its ok to let them eat what they want because they're kids, mantra has shifted quite a bit. Our middle son was overweight and we recently made him begin regular exercise and are forcing healthier eating habits. It was tough tho ... no doubt about it. He has lost 30 pounds over the last year and it seems his friends are following suit. I just dont want to go overboard to the point of making him overly self conscious about his body. Hes only 12 and has reached 5'10" and near 200 lbs ... that in itself really bothers him. To be so much bigger than the other kids.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He'll feel better once he realizes he has some control over it.

13. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'll feel better when he actually takes control of it as well.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah, if it comes from mom and dad he probably will resist. Nature of teenagers. Getting a third party involved (coach whatever) is always helpful. (Please note I'm talking in general not knowing your situation)

15. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

This 1000 times.