Missing Malaysia Airliner MH370

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Low Country Vol, Mar 9, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree. If it had been a terrorist attack, someone would have claimed it by now.

I think this goes in the "shit happens" category

2. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It's weird for sure. There had to have been a catastrophic event to disable all forms of communication so quickly that the crew had no time for a distress call. There are also discrete codes (e.g., hijacking) built into the transponder that can be sent. Modern aircraft have multiple radios for voice communication as well as the transponder. A complete electrical failure is possible but airliners have auxiliary power units that use the power of ram air through the turbines from the forward motion of the aircraft to power critical navigational and communication equipment. Explosion certainly can't be ruled out but why no debris found yet? Something ... anything. Makes no sense.

Side note: Iridium is starting to provide a new service called Aireon that uses space based tracking. Aircraft equipped with a Xceiver will be immediately locatable.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'm hoping it is a precursor to the Kaiju invasion.

4. OrangeEmpire

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Who will your Jaeger co-pilot be?

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Has anyone confirmed or denied that MH370 was equipped with a flux capacitor?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pilot incompetence can't be overlooked.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Small, but with currents and such there is "debris" of some kind scattered all over the place without any accident. Same with oil slicks. Just looking at it, the ocean looks big, blue, pure. Start trying to find something, and you realize it is a collection of plastic, wood, oil, residue, etc.

10. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

or sab-O-tage

11. OrangeEmpire

One of my two best friends.

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Booo ... I was hoping you would mind meld with Ben4Vols ...

Edit- who, by the way, is late as hell with the TRUTH about the airliner disappearance! I can't wait to get the scoop on what actually happened from Ben.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  13. OrangeEmpire

If I had to drift with an internet boo bear, it would come down to Ron Mexico or Trut.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Which, unless it hit and sank straight to the bottom, you would think there would be some piece of something large enough. I get what you are saying, I'm just more perplexed that if it did (probably) explode/fall apart, there would be a couple of large pieces to start with. But there is nothing.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think part of it is no one really knows where to look. From what I gathered they were looking in a 50 mile radius from the last point of contact, but then discovered that the plane might have tried to turn around or altered course altogether. It's entirely possible that the plane isn't in the original search area.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Exactly. A 50 mile radius is tiny tiny tiny, even in a small part of the Pacific.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I guess. The whole thing is just crazy.

18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It was also seven miles up ... the drift trajectory alone would put it out beyond a 50 mile radius I would assume.

19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It took two years to find the airbus that crashed on it's way from Rio to Paris.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

At this point all explanations are possible. I wouldn't rule it out, but if it exploded surely someone's satellite would have noticed.