Movies I Don't Fully Understand

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 16, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The Shining
    No Country for Old Men
    Pulp Fiction

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They are all allegorical and explain why Trump is a terrible president.

3. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

The only one I have seen is Pulp. I went and saw Pulp only because of the hype. I hated the movie.

The shinning is old, looks unappealing and Nicholson, well, who cares?
    No country doesn't look like my kind of flick.

If I was in charge of the Oscars, then Maverick would have won over Pulp Fiction but hollywierd likes the seedy/dirty/degenerate over the good.

If you like this stuff you are hollyweird's gimp!

4. Tenacious D

This is my favorite post, ever.

5. Tenacious D

I just watched The Shining with my son, and I've been on a YouTube binge in watching various breakdowns ever since. Still not sure I understand what Kubrick is going for, or what's just being read into it.

Why is he in the picture at the end? Who in the hell is the bear? Who is the caretaker, and what does that even mean? I have learned that there's tons and tons of Illuminati symbolism in The Shining, but fortunately, I don't know a damned thing about them, so it's lost on me.

In No County for Old Men (NCFOM)...there is a similar / opposite dynamic between Chagura and the sheriff, but I can't put my finger on it. I don't understand Chagura, at all. Is he just insane? And the sheriff's two dreams are most perplexing of all - I neither understand their general meaning nor as to how it specifically relates to the story, at all. I don't even understand the title.

Pulp Fiction...I don't get what's in the briefcase, or why the unnecessary mystery of keeping its contents hidden.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Its a MacGuffin. It is ultimately unimportant to the plot of the story. It can be anything or nothing, whichever you wish.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The Shining has all sorts of bizarre stuff hidden in it, that the average viewer (such as myself) would never notice.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think the point of Pulp Fitcion is that Marcellus Wallace doesn't like to be ****ed by anybody other than Mrs. Wallace.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Pulp Fiction didn't win the Oscar, Forrest Gump did. I liked Pulp Fiction, but I find Tarantino a little hit or miss. I don't think there was any kind of deeper meaning in Pulp Fiction, just an homage to movies from the 70s, like most every Tarantino film, and an entertaining dive into the seedy side of LA.

I'm not sure Hollywood is all that weird, either. Most of the movies are pretty formula driven and not too deep. Foreign films, I find, take a lot more chances and are "weirder" than the 27th incantation of some Marvel comic.

The Shining and No Country for Old Men were alright, but I'm not sure of their meaning or, at least, I'm not interested enough to care.

10. NorrisAlan

I thought it was that an ass-watch is the best watch.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

My favorite theory is that it's Wallace's soul, which he was buying back from the devil.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Sub point, no doubt.

13. NorrisAlan

I like to think it is the best Reuben Sandwich ever made by man. That might just be because it is lunch time, though.

14. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Why didn't the Germans call for indirect fire at the end of Fury?

15. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

\

It was 1994 so I misremembered. I liked Gump better than the Gimp LOL. Man I am getting old.

Foreign films? If you like epics and can handle a Bollywood film in Hindi, singing and subs then watch Asoka (2001).

Check out Hrishitaa Bhatt as Devi. I think she is more attractive than Kapoor.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  16. Tenacious D

God, that's an awesome premise for a theory.

17. Tenacious D

Well, enter the YouTube rabbit hole of fan and expert theories alike, at your own peril.

18. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Another movie that is a little hard to follow because of the nature of how such deliberations would have been carried out is the movie Conspiracy ...also 2001 ...and I believe an HBO original film about the Nazi final solution and the Wannsee conference. Great acting and superb film! Branagh and Tucci are the main actors.

19. Tenacious D

The Shining theories that seem to have attracted the most support (an informal guess on my part), as to what the movie is about, and in no particular order:

1. Kubrick's confessing to having helped fake the moon landing.
    2. The Illuminatti.
    3. Pedophilia.
    4. The Holocaust.
    5. The genocide committed against Native Americans.

20. Tenacious D

Saw Forest Gump in San Diego, and it's still the only movie I've ever attended where the audience broke out in applause at the conclusion (nearly everyone, loudly and sustained for more than a few brief seconds).

It was surreal.