Moving to Tennessee

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Joseph Brant, Dec 17, 2014.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I get it. I always drove through going to and from NEA.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I can shoot my dinner from my front or back porch, grow the side dishes 50 feet from my house, or walk 500 yards to catch my supper in the river. My kids have 100 acres to play on doing pretty much whatever they want. They don't have to worry about standing in line or that annoying kid on the playground that everyone hates. As a bonus, I don't have to worry about a Sab creeper type eyeballing them thinking who knows what. The clincher is that they have 4 waterparks in which to play on their own land: 2 creeks, a pond and a river.

*drops mike and walks off the stage*

*Encore*

I failed to mention they have their own large rock climbing wall on the mountain side of the property. Those mountains open up another world of adventures.

*spikes the mic before walking off the stage this time*

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. JayVols

You can't?

4. JayVols

That lake is one of my happy places. It's beautiful, partiicularly from 421 bridge down to the dam.

5. JayVols

I'm a people person.

6. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

lol

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

When I'm Governor, I'll commute from Knoxville.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It looks like it ate the snake that ate the guy on discovery.

Met his wife once, she had a noticeable limp that had a whimper after each step.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My dream place to live and raise my girls.

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Eh. I lived in both and they both have their advantages. I don't like my neighbors being so close but then again I really enjoy being so close to many, many attractions.

There's no right answer here.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I disagree, the right answer is what is right for you.

I live within the city limits just minutes from most everything I care about, however, this is an older neighborhood developed on very hilly and heavily wooded terrain. I have about an acre lot on a street with just four houses, only one of which my property joins as my lot is on a corner and the only house on my side of the street. One border is with a thick woods which holds a herd of deer estimated to number around 8-10, a flock of 11 wild turkey, numerous raccoon, possum, rabbits, squirrels (including flying specie, and an occasional black bear. We are on a ridge with a nice view of the mountains. I have hickory, walnut, apple, cherry trees plus many dogwood, oak, holly and maple. It really is like living out in the country, but without the drive time. If totally up to me I would be out on either South Holston Lake or the river below the dam, but the wife isn't keen on having to drive any at all to get to work or wherever.

12. JayVols

Are you familiar with the lodge/retreat, River's Way, on Stoney Hollow Rd that's on the river below the dam? Absolutely beautiful place.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Succinct and wholly accurate. I'd also add that the ideal location/situation could likely change. During my late 20s through 30s the right place was clearly metro - Chicago was a great fit and I was very happy there. In my mid 40s I now live in a nice enough place in SW FL, but often miss the benefits of living in a more urban area. When I retire, though, the right place will be closer to forests and/or farmland.

Sounds like you have a great situation, RB.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well yes, I tried to buy it many years ago.

15. JayVols

If you had, you'd have gained an "adopted" son. Love that place.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

That would be cool. I have wonderful memories of fishing around the Riverside section with my Grandfather back in the '60s. In the summer time we would go fishing every Thursday either for trout and smallmouth on the river, or largemouth and stripes on the lake. I still drive down there regularly for breakfast and stop on the way back along that stretch of the river. I truly regret not working that deal out.

17. JayVols

I've never fished that section of the river, but it looks very trouty and whatnot.