Must read list

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

The Joy of Sex

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It reminds me somewhat of James Joyce (excluding Finnegan's Wake, which I'm pretty sure was written by a lunatic alien.) It's quality, and you know there is something very important happening, but you have to wade waist deep in mud to get there. It's not fun, but it is worth it in the end.

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

the butter battle book.
    guns, germs and steel.
    the sound and the fury.
    maxims and reflections, quotes by winston churchhill
    people of the lie.
    denial of the soul.
    the hunger games trilogy, was actually fun read.
    the tao of pooh.
    forrest gump ( better than the movie)
    gump and company
    Japanese Death Poems: Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death

4. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I read a book in high school about a Chinese farm family, I think. I wish I knew the name of it, I'd like to read it again

5. cotton

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, especially about things like art, music, and literature, but I cannot stress how strongly I disagree with this assessment.

It is like comparing a multiple Oscar winning, classic movie respected for every element of filmmaking, acting, and writing, to a pile of crap.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I am in complete agreement with cotton about Forrest Gump.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Had a great high school teacher that pretty much gave us an outline to translate the tough parts. I'm not sure high school me would have put up with it otherwise.

10. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

You're my hero

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ha. Had to read it sophomore year I think.

12. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

the story in the book was better. the story in the movie, while told very well, was inferior. some peoples minds can paint a vivid picture, other people would rather have the picture painted for them.

imo jmo tifwiw ywir tl goi pab

13. cotton

I hated the book, but that isn't really the issue. I can usually appreciate the value of something of quality even if I don't like it.

The only redeeming quality of the book I could find was that it inspired somebody to make a really good movie. And by inspired, I mean somebody thought, "That book sucked, but it does give me an idea..."

14. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

how did that make you feel, cotton? did you want to punch the book.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

• Moneyball, Michael Lewis
    • Bonfire of the Vanities, Tom Wolfe
    • A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
    • Open (Andre Agassi's autobiography....literally the best autobiography I've ever read. The ghostwriter is J. R. Moehringer, who is a pulitzer prize winner, and who Agassi reportedly spent a large sum of money to get on board with the project. It was money well spent. The book is exceedingly well written.)
    • The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand
    • Ghosts of Manilla, Mark Kram (the only book written about Ali -- it's about the "Thrilla in Manilla", his third fight with Frazier, which is widely considered the most brutal fight in boxing history -- that is completely honest in its portrayal of the man, who was no saint. Here are two reviews of the book: ESPN.com - Page2 - Chasing 'Ghosts of Manila' ; Bill Simmons breaks down the epic book Ghosts of Manila, on a legendary battle between boxers - Grantland
    • I'll assume you've read Catcher in the Rye
    • The Great Train Robbery, Michael Crichton (the story is awesome in its own right, but what makes it truly great is that it's set in Victorian England, and you won't read a better portrayal of that time and place.)
    • Wise Guys, Nicolas Pileggi (the book that "Goodfellas" was based on. I read this book before I ever saw Goodfellas, and as a result I will always think of Goodfellas as being mediocre at best (except for the scene where he walks through the kitchen. That scene is awesome.)
    • Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, Tom Robbins (you should read a Tom Robbins book, even if this isn't the one you choose).
    • Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

16. kidbourbon

I can second the Vonnegut recommendations. Cat's Cradle be my fav. Ice Nine, baby.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'll echo Catcher, if you didn't read it in HS.

18. kidbourbon

I've never read Catch-22. I will. It's my brother's favorite book ever.

Unrelated, but I'm also going to read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It isn't going to be a cakewalk, but I'm gonna do it.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Forrest Gump the book is an awful attempt at comedy. It sucks. Terribly. The story is stupid. The character of Forrest sucks. Awful.

The only instance of a movie being better than the book that I can recall.

20. kidbourbon

I had to read this in high school. Hated it.

I also hated "Old Man and the Sea", which of course means I hated "Life of Pi", which is just "Old Man and the Sea" but with an Indian kid instead of an old man.