Must read list

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Both of those can easily be obtained free legally.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Confused about why Jenny needs to be hotter. She is supposed to be a woman that ends up with a mentally impaired Tom Hanks.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Seriously?

1. The biggest retard in the world can tell when a girl is hot
    2. Forrest Gump refers to her multiple times as the most beautiful girl he has ever seen. And so, yes, she should be hot.
    3. And they cast her as a very cute 8 year old*
    4. Who then ten years later is simply unattractive.
    5. The dumbest man in the world would never put this girl** up onto that high of a pedestal.

Did that really require an explanation?

*Jenny the 8 year old grew up to look exactly as you would have expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think quite a few men refer to their significant others as "the most beautiful woman ever seen". I think it has a better ring to it than "the most attractive non-transsexual with which I have a realistic chance of intercourse".

Plus, I think the primary reason he found her so beautiful was that she was kind to him when everyone else ostracized him.

Anyway, I really don't see how that impacts the movie at all.

5. kidbourbon

(1)
    Not true. The first time he ever saw Jenny when he was walking down the bus aisle -- before even a single word had been exchanged -- he said she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Jenny was supposed to be attractive, not merely You Are The Most Beautiful Woman In The World Who Will Sleep With Me | The Onion - America's Finest News Source.

(2)
    I disagree. The attractive female lead wasn't actually attractive. I'm not sure how to explain why this detracts from the movie. It just does.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Two great sports books: Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand and Summer of 49 by David Halberstam.

I'm also a fan of Where the Red Fern Grows and anything by Mark Twain.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Forrest was in love. He believed what he was saying.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh well. They weren't expensive.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He is re-telling the story to someone as a grown man, so he says that she is the most beautiful woman around 25-30 years after she spoke to him.

Anyway, toward the end of the movie is she supposed to have used a shat-ton of hardcore drugs and is dying of some unexplained illness, so she actually fits the bill pretty well.

10. kidbourbon

Perhaps reasonable minds can differ on this subject. I thought she should have been more attractive, and I thought that upon first viewing. I do agree that she is believable in the role "girl who has been rode hard and hung up wet". Bill Simmons actually tackled this subject.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm buying quite a few more books with Christmas money and considering picking this up. What is this 8th book club, and how far behind would I be?

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm intersted in this now that I'm looking to get a bunch more. How do I get books free legally?

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We read his commencement speech from Kenyon College. He sounds like an interesting guy.

14. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Amazon will let you download electronic versions of any public domain books for free. I've been working through Gibbon's History...Roman Empire.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Removing it from my list.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've thought about that, but I kinda want them in print so I can reread them and allow people to borrow them if they want.

17. InVolNerable

Save them to your computer/kindle and you can reread them just as if they were in print.

Let whomever wants to borrow them know they can download it themselves for free.

Problems solved.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My new list thus far:

Crime and Punishment
    Pride and Prejudice
    A Tale of Two Cities
    Middlemarch
    The Brothers Karamazov
    Robinson Crusoe
    Autobiography of Malcolm X
    Catch-22
    One Hundred Years of Solitude
    Cat's Cradle
    A Farewell to Arms
    War and Peace
    Anna Karenina
    Slaughterhuse-five
    The Fountainhead
    The Sound and the Fury
    The Great Train Robbery
    Pirate Latitudes
    The Tao of Pooh

How's it look? Any you'd recommend I drop? I might add a few more.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't have a kindle. I'll just get them in print. It's cheaper than a kindle, as of now.

20. InVolNerable

You can get a Kindle, or something similar, for about $50. Pays for itself after 5 books.