POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It is even greatly ironic to come in from a perspective that America is free, and there are all these things that can be freely done (that once couldn't), but, wait, stop! Don't do the things anymore that caused that freedom, because it's bad to do so, now. It's just an overall odd piece.

IP likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Both of you should reread the first 3 paragraphs, where she states she appreciates she can, whereas she can't in many other countries, while also talking about America's imperfections.
    Stop trying to be the smartest in the room for a few minutes and receive a message from outside your bubble.

VolDad likes this.
  3. fl0at_

Right, and you'll notice my first question was... which countries can she not? And is that a large number of countries, or a very, very small number of countries?

When you can do the same things in just about every country on the planet... it's not really as big a benefit then, is it?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see it as exactly opposite. the writer needs to get out of their bubble.

5. Ssmiff

In 70+ countries, its illegal for her to be a lesbian.
    Shes basically saying for those who think America sucks so bad, it doesnt. If you disagree, ok.

6. fl0at_

So it's illegal for her to be a lesbian in a minority of countries.

And what I'm saying is that that reason isn't a good enough reason to declare that America doesn't suck, as it's common throughout the Western world. And because it's common, we shouldn't hoist it up as some great thing, especially when we didn't even achieve it first. "Hurray for us, we got there eventually!" is a poor slogan.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love america. that's why my expectations remain high

fl0at_ likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Fixed it

Indy and VolDad like this.
  9. cpninja

cpninja Member

10. Ssmiff

Attached Files:

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, the ability of some to refuse to comprehend the salient parts of any controversy, and just take the easy outrage path. Pretty Cat in a Hat isn't one of the books the publisher was deciding not to print anymore.

12. Ssmiff

So you are good with canceling dr Seuss now for PC reasons. Got it.
    It's not outrage to point out how dumb stuff is and people upset about dr Seuss while the n word and wet ass [ussy pay] song play all day everyday sums up the PC idiocy of this country

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This isn’t even difficult information to find.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/books/dr-seuss-mulberry-street.html?referringSource=articleShare

14. Ssmiff

"Offensive imagery". After all these years. Imagine that.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No one's "canceling", an increasingly meaningless term, Dr. Seuss. His estate decided not to continue publishing a handful of books with offensive imagery. Hell, even Seuss himself disavowed some really awful shit he wrote during World War II, 'canceling' himself, I guess. You can still find Seuss books aplenty here, there and everywhere. You can find them in a store, you can find them on the web. You can find them.......

SetVol13 likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

I find it ridiculous. The cause du jour.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You should write them a letter.

18. Unimane

Of course you think it ridiculous. You, habitually here, are unable to consider items from beyond your own perspective and why certain things might be considered offensive to people if you don't determine they are. You think this is the first time Seuss' work has come under critique? He himself was embarrassed by some of the stuff he wrote earlier in his life. And, no, the imagery is most certainly not the "cause du jour" within the groups of people he depicted, just like it wasn't for the "Redskins" or books on "Sambo" or "Song of the South". My son is half-Asian from my first marriage and I've heard about this type of shit (cultural depictions, "Breafast at Tiffany's" and "Sixteen Candles" type shit) for a long time in discussions with my ex-wife and people in her circle ever since we had political and social discussions. You being aware of it for the first time doesn't make this a new thing.

A publisher deciding not to continue publishing a few books from 50+ years ago is neither uncommon nor particularly terrible. Books are discontinued all the time.

19. Ssmiff

Uni you've never brought this up before. Never said a word. If it was that important to you, say something 30 years ago. 20. 10 or 6 months ago. Cause du jour for you. Fo sho.

20. Unimane

Wait, the only way this action has validity is if I make a post on this message board declaring my desire to getting rid of these depictions of people and I do it months, years, before it happened? That's your argument?