NBA / Cuban Aim to Stop "One and Done" Players - KY fans are breathless

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2012.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Utter nonsense?

If you don't think if UK still had Wall, Cousins, Orton, Bledsoe on their roster that players like Davis, MKG and Terrance Jones would more than likely not be there, then I don't know what to tell you.

Elite players aren't going to a school so they can be a role player until their junior year, when they can go to another school and star from day one.

2. GahLee

Get real, these guys don't give two shits about being a student-athlete and the vast majority probabky have absolutely no intention of going back to school after having made that initial payday.

Which scenario is more likely to succeed?

A. a 19 year old with 2 college semesters under his belt is given a multi-million dollar contract.
    B. a 21 yearl old with 3 years of college under his belt is given a mutli-million dollar contract.

Which is more likely to get a degree?

Of course all of the above is rhetorical, we all know the anwser.

3. GahLee

You seriously think that kids who know going into their freshman season that it will be their last take class seriously?

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Your arguments keep getting dumber and history laughs at them. The elites in college basketball are there for a reason. Just because a bunch of anti-capitalism nimrods put some imbecilic rule in place doesn't mean Ole Miss is suddenly going to have a shot at getting elite recruits. They'll still go to the same 10-15 schools they've always gone to.

5. hatvol96

Given that dropping out of school cost Daniel Orton about ten spots in the NBA Draft because GMs decided that it showed an utter lack of character to bail on a school and hurt their APR, I'd say pretty much every agent with an IQ above room temp makes sure they know it's in their best interest to finish up. Check the APR numbers of the elite schools that get one and dones. Looks to me like those guys are doing a good job of paying attention in that second semester.

6. hatvol96

The nonsense is getting stacked extra high in here today.

7. hatvol96

I'm sure this is based on your years of interaction with high level D-I programs.

8. GahLee

Stand by what I said in my example of UK. Sure those players aren't going to a school like Ole Miss, that is obvious.

9. GahLee

What does the above post have to do with what you qouted?

10. hatvol96

You ridiculous point is that the one and done guys aren't taking care of business academically while they're on campus. The evidence says the exact opposite.

11. GahLee

What was I thinking? There is no way a kid with two semesters left of college would ever be more inclined to finish school then say a kid with 3 years left.

12. GahLee

I'm sure these guys are hitting the books hard knowing damn well that in 6 months they will no longer be enrolled and will be making millions. You also know damn well that these kids can and do get away with not even showing up to class and still get a passing grade.

13. GahLee

I just think there are more positives than negatives.

I also think we would see more kids go the way of Brandon Jennings and play overseas until being eligible for the NBA.

14. hatvol96

Why? If you have no real interest in something, how long you need to complete it doesn't mean a [dadgum] thing. The guys who would go back and get their degrees under a three year mandate are the same guys who will go back under the current system.

15. hatvol96

Yeah, college campuses are just teeming with professors looking to help the athletic department out by making life easy on their athletes. Just ask Fab Melo.

16. GahLee

Could Orton not have improved his draft stock and ultimately made more money by playing a few more years of college ball, while getting more than a few bullshit semesters out of the way before being officially declared a professional?

17. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Why you gotta be so mean?

18. GahLee

You don't know that, so stop pretending like you just stated a fact.

My point is the rule may cause the kid to care more about school, God forbid they develop an interest other than basketball.

19. hatvol96

The ones who are worth a damn are. That's what disciplined, successful people do. They complete the tasks in front of them and do so to the best of their abilities. There's a reason the first question the Spurs ask during their draft interviews relates to how often a kid missed class while he was in college. Professionals understand that being professional is the main part of success. They guys who don't give a shit about their last semester of class are the some SOBs who won't give a shit about doing the conditioning work and modifying their dietary to be able to handle the NBA grind. Those guys will be failures if make them stay in college three years or three weeks.

20. hatvol96

Great point. It's not like I'm speaking from going on 20 years of being around high level D-I programs. I'm simply just guessing. Not at all looking empirically at the guys who I've seen come back and who hasn't.