NC Amendment 1 Passes (Constitutionally Prevents Gay Marriage)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 8, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The Constitution validated slavery for a long long time. I would go with your other arguments. "It's okay because the constitution says so" is easily your weakest.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't think the loss of a 400 year old Oak tree is a bigger deal than mowing over a sprout?

3. kidbourbon

Is the Bamboo growing?

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah, that was the point of the comment about age being important in the case of trees. It's also a bigger deal than destroying a 2 year old tree. But we don't have similar moral differences between killing 80 year old people and 2 year old people.

5. Tar Volon

You'd hope so. I have my doubts

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nope. But we do have a disagreement about the moral differences between an x year old and a less than zero year old. Or should we start counting from conception?

7. Tar Volon

So the tree comparison here is a sprout vs a sapling. And we probably do treat even those differently, although not quite as differently as "it's okay to kill one but not the other"

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unless you're a treehugger. They exclusively devour sprouts, seeds, and fruit, but [itch bay] about a geriatric tree. Weird position if you think about it that way.

9. Tar Volon

You know I hadn't, but it kinda is.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

There are statutes in some states, not sure about Tennessee, that allow for double homicide if a pregnant lady is murdered; however, the point of those statutes, at least in my opinion, is to use that as a reason to say, "See, I told you abortion's murder." rather than being focused on the murderer.

12. kidbourbon

Your opinion is probably correct. I'm not going to look it up, but I'd be interested to see which states have statutes like that on the books. If it's just bible belt states, then your opinion is definitely correct.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd be more interested in if the mother isn't killed but the fetus is. Seems like the offender ought to face more than simple assault or whatever.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now I am confused at myself. I don't think a fetus is a person, but if someone forces the end of a pregnancy on someone I do think that is a "death."

[dadgum] complicated shit.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't fret too much. You're plugged into the Matrix, anyway.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The NCAACP has now passed a resolution supporting gay marriage. Didn't see that coming.