Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He kind of looks like an alien

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

Poppa T likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Anybody watching Halo?

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Probably will at some point

5. NorrisAlan

Never played the game, but I enjoyed Arcane and have never played LoL, so might check it out.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

The first game was really good. Second one ok but I never finished it. Never played any after that

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You talking about Halo here?

I’d say the first one was amazing because of its story/campaign. Second one was amazing because of its online multiplayer. Not sure I could pick which of the two is best just because they’re so great for different reasons.

It fell off after that, though I’ve enjoyed plenty of games since to a relative degree.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

I hate online multiplayer so I never tried it.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's interesting. Halo 2's online multiplayer was an absolute gamechanger. I'd liken it to Steph in the NBA. Just completely changed the landscape.

I would have been 13 when it came out. I think I went to my buddy's house every single weekend to play that game for like, 2 years straight. I could see how if you were a few years older than that (no idea how old you are), you might not have gotten as caught up in it. But it was just so different than anything anyone had ever played.

Personally, I probably liked Halo 1 better because I'm more of a campaign/story kind of guy. But it's hard for me to deny Halo 2's greatness.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

The only online multiplayer I’ve ever done was just enough in Mass Effect 3 to get the “good” ending, before the DLCs came out

11. NorrisAlan

When all these online games came out, 16 year old kids with the reflexes of rabbits just made it unenjoyable for me. After Quake 2, my fps days were over.

WoW came along and sucked me I hard after that.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

my boys invited me to play COD one night and proceeded to not let me go 30 seconds without being killed in every fashion possible. Years of Madden revenge

justingroves likes this.
  13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I don't play much anymore. Just watch my grandsons "rabbit twitch" and I harass them when they die. The ones with a "story" are more interesting for the watcher, imo.

I can beat their young azzes in the cartoon racing games, though. As long as I don't have to remember a bunch of combo control thingys.

InVolNerable and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Halo 3 was the best online multiplayer in the history of the genre of FPS. Halo 2 was great, but the addition of Forge in Halo 3 made it infinitely better.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

True, but Halo 2 gets a special place in my heart for the dorm-wide LAN fights. I'm not usually big on multiplayer, but that came out my freshman year of college, and that's all any of us played pretty much the entire spring semester (and also, obviously, for setting the stage for Halo 3).

justingroves likes this.
  16. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Absolutely. I distinctly remember having a trip to Gatlinburg in high school where we sneaked a large TV with us onto the bus specifically so we could have a Halo 2 LAN party in the hotel. Naturally, a bunch of teenage guys playing Halo can't not be obnoxiously loud, so our principal hears us freaking out and walks into the room to see 2 TVs and thought we'd ripped out one of the bolted TVs out of one of the rooms.

InVolNerable likes this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I never messed with Forge, so I don’t have an opinion on it. I played a ton of Halo 3 but don’t remember it as fondly as Halo 2. Even if you can make and support the claim that 3 is the better game, it’s not by much, and 2 didn’t have the luxury of having a game like 2 come before it. I’d rank 2 higher regardless.

Modern Warfare (original) is up there for best online multiplayer FPS, in my book. Might be number 1. It’s between that and Halo 2, for me.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

So I actually watched the first episode of the show. Ok I guess. Kind of nostalgic to hear all the sound effects. They’re going in a different direction than the first game with it.

19. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

It was implemented in every Playlist by way of extra maps and game variants-- many of which were community-created, so if you played as much as you claim, you experienced its influence. It added and limited variance of weapons and custom modes and indirectly assisted in the implementation of regular patch updates which was almost nonexistent beforehand. The multi-player experience isn't relatively close as a whole as it enhanced every aspect from the most casual to the most hardcore in terms of tournaments, custom games, or game balance. Halo 2 was so fondly remembered partly because of the popularizing of LAN parties like mentioned, but also because of how exploitative and disadvantaged one team could be by abusing the myriad of exploits.

It's fine to say those were enjoyable moments and to be fond of them moreso than that of the 3rd, but objectively it's an inferior game ranging from graphics and hardware capabilities, to inherent game balance and customization.

The comment about not having a predecessor is one of your dumbest points ever made though, considering it's called Halo 2, and deserves to be uniquely criticized.

InVolNerable likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't understand why they can't follow the story just a little bit