Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yea I liked Billions, too.

Man Louis Litt may be one of my all-time favorite TV characters.

zehr27 and Ssmiff like this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Rewatching Firefly.

Forgot how gorram good this show was.

IP likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah. I found it way late. I know there’s been some fans call for more or a reboot or whatever but at this point I just say let it lie. Won’t be able to live up I don’t think

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

Yep. It was lightning in a bottle and could have continued to be great with that same cast and directors, but to try it again 20+ years later? No thanks. Come up with something new, please.

10SEvols likes this.
  5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Season 4 of True Detective looks somewhat promising.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Fargo series isn’t bad so far. Don’t remember it coming out

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Newest season has been good so far. The season before this one lost me so I'm glad to see it's back on track.

8. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

It was okay until the season when they shipped the main guy off to switzerland or whatever.

9. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

I'm super late to the Bojack Horseman party, but it's quite good. It's dark af, though.

Just finished season 1 of The Bear on Hulu. Really flocking good.

10. Ssmiff

WW2 : From the Frontlines is pretty good. I need a refresher on a lot of it. So far I’m as amazed GB tried to fight Panzers with this.

Attached Files:

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now. Had they actually listened 20 years ago, 15 years ago, even 10 years ago... Could have been something. Too late now.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

meadow soprano is on a new commercial for some prescription drug and she has aged… well

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I watched Hell Camp on Netflix about the wilderness camps for troubled teens run in the 80s through 2000s by Steve Cartisano, which brought up a lot of interesting observations and facets of teens and our perception of them from the past as compared to now. The doc was pretty good, even though they failed to mention a few things, like the Mormon religion component I believe was important to the process. It did detail the overt excesses and abuse of the program while noting there are still a number of these wilderness youth camps today. But, a few notable items I feel are important or noteworthy as I watched the video:

1. I remember how fast generational change was happening, beginning in the 1950s (I came on board to this process in the 1980s), to where kids were not merely going through emotional and physical changes, but were actually part of something sinister, almost evil. I remember the "devil's music" stuff thrown around pretty loosely and Cartisano selling troubled teens as all "manipulators and liars" fits the temper of the time.

2. This was also a time in which, if you were a clean cut looking middle age white dude selling "values" and being tough on kids, you could con people out of most anything. This dude was a sociopath of the 1st degree and people kept giving him their kids to fix. One better part of today is we are much more discerning on guys like him, or anyone, in previously sacred institutions.

3. The improvement in how we deal with teens has been notable since this time, as well. The idea you can just tough love them into being good kids was so "old school" nonsense, the retrospective obviousness of the potential for serious abuse is alarming. Forcing troubled teens to march through miles and miles of desert terrain with few supplies is one of the most idiotic ideas ever. It was a matter of time before someone died.

4. A lot of the problem wasn't the kids, but, rather, parents who didn't know how to do their jobs and, instead, bought the idea youth culture had irreparably influenced and harmed their child.

5. On that note, believing you can subject your kid to harsh treatment by someone else and they'll come back to respect you and all will be better is the height of the 1980s stupid parenting I remember.

6. These things, as noted, still exist, which mean stupid parenting hasn't slowed down. However, I do note the cultural changes have kind of slowed a bit between generations, making the type of issues somewhat different.

All in all, this should have been a longer series, but still worth checking out.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Those things used to scare the shit out of me and, largely, were the reason I never got myself into any real trouble as a kid/teen.

Couple episodes of watching that shit with my grandma on Sally Jesse Raphael or Phil Donahue and boy did it have my attention.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Beef was good

16. Ssmiff

you didn’t get in trouble because you were scared of going to a kids camp?

17. NorrisAlan

What? Are you trolling?

18. Ssmiff

no. He said a big reason he didn’t cause trouble was that he was scared of kids camp.
    Not getting in trouble because I was scared of being sent away wasn’t something that ever entered my mind. I’ve got 3 boys who act pretty well and it hasn’t been at all due to being scared of being sent off to an attitude adjustment camp. Just found it odd.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Huh?

20. Ssmiff

I just found it odd you said watching those things was largely why you didn’t get in big trouble.