New AD- John Currie.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Feb 28, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lane Kiffin had a multi million dollar staff here in 2009.

2. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

You need more than that to emulate what Satan has done at bama. No AD in their right mind would hand Kiffin the power Bama gave to Satan.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hamilton gave him a lot. He left because USC gave him even more.

What you're saying is a pretty common practice, it's just that Saban does it better than everyone else.

4. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Lol

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Butch Jones just took one of our best rosters this century and lost to a Vandy team that was having thoughts of firing their head coach. He is by far the biggest problem.

6. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

He replaced the CB coach and brought in proven DL coach to fix the abysmal defense. Look I dont think the guy is a genius and prefer pro-style offenses but all he has to do is manage a staff of people better and smarter than he is himself. I think he is working on it and has the right mindset of a HC /delegator.

Recruiting and developing players is more important than x and o wizardry. And I love x and o wizardry.
    He has done above average in the former but awful in the latter. Lets see if the new staff can fix that.

If not then he will be gone. If he builds a staff and creates a process for continued success I could care less if he plays "Weekend at Bernies." It seems to me there is a personal dislike for the guy on this site. I can take or leave him.

The only coach in my lifetime I hated to see go was Fulmer but I felt like most that it was time. Jones was never high on my list but he has made progress. Has he topped out? I dont know but the staff changes show he is trying to move forward.

Fulmer waited too late to get off his butt and the Clawson hire was too late to save him.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i think he's made the staff better but there's still some dead weight on it, and Larry Scott is a first year offensive coordinator, and i'll believe butch jones lets him run the offense when i see it

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He lost to Vanderbilt in year 4 with a team most people thought preseason had top 10 talent. That's more than a couple of assistant coaches worth of sucking, in my opinion.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't get employing a head coach that has to stay away from coaching to be successful, or how anyone can sell that to themselves and believe it will work

10. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Well you boys can punt. I just dont see the value in starting over just yet. I dont like being in the wilderness nor will I be satisfied with 9 wins forever.

I would love to have Gruden or some other savant but he ain't coming. All I am saying is that Currie better have a big name hire or we will be on the coaching carousel for another decade. Oh and the Currie hire has me less than enthused that the next HC at UT will be any better than Dooley.

I will be happy with Jones until someone who is proven better is in the bag.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No sense in hold a hand when it's obviously not a winner.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Basically he's good to get a search going but should be fired himself after he sets those wheels in motion.

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

You ever hear of places called Notre Dame, Nebraska and Miami?

ND - hasn't done much in 20 years...sacrificial lamb for Bama a few years ago. Heck they have a "proven" coach and still cant get back to where Holtz had them.
    Nebraska - Osbourne ancient history.
    Miami well Coker did it then what? Mark Richt? Proven to get 9-10 wins but short on rings.

This will be UT if we dont stay off the coaching carousel. Is Butch by himself the answer? NO. Maybe he can assemble a staff that will be the answer. 5-7 and I will help you carry a pitchfork.

Show me the replacement first and then we can talk. But your problem isn't with me or really Butch. Its the UT system, Board, the Haslams et al. They have the power and the money to take on Alabama for the SEC. Will they? The Currie hire doesn't instill any confidence in me that they will.

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

There's no inherent value in staying off the coaching carousel. You have to get the right guy and if you don't you can't win, it's that simple. And asking if the Haslams will do what needs to be done is the million dollar question, but we all know the answer. Our boosters don't care.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I would love to be wrong, but i still believe last season, with Vandy and SC and all thrown in, will still be the best team Butch will ever field.

I had given you credit for being cleverer than this, even if it is a troll.

A little kooky, sure, but more clever.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Any of those programs could fire their coach and hire Chip Kelly and be destroying everyone in year 1. As for UT, there are dozens of coaches that would at least be an upgrade over our current fool.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What University has ever openly done that?

18. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

The coaching carousel is not good, but the problem is hiring poor choices. If you don't hire Bob Davie, Bill Callahan (and you can debate Pelini), Randy Shannon, Al Golden, DDIAPOS, and Butch Jones, then you don't have a coaching carousel. I lived in South Florida when Shannon was hired. The Miami fans thought it was going to be Greg Schiano. DDIAPOS was not the fan target and many of us were thinking Gruden when Jones was hired. The problem is NOT firing a coach who is not getting it done. The problem is overthinking the new hire and trying to find the up and comer. There are up and coming coaches, but they don't have mostly losing records and they have usually won something. None of those schools should be settling for an unproven coach, nor should Tennessee. Look at Bama wandering over the years between Stallings and Saban. It wasn't changing coaches. It was hiring terrible ones. Michigan tried that crap too. Michigan and Bama are the blueprint. Go get your freaking guy! Or better yet, look at Ohio State. They didn't waste time after Cooper. The went interim until they got Meyer.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His past two signing classes have not been up to par with the rest of the SEC. His only redeeming quality was recruiting and it's slipping.

Butch has topped out. He pisses his pants when there's anything of importance on the line. He couldn't outright win the Big East. He can't win a shit SEC East. He's an 8-4, 9-3 coach at best.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, a bunch of highly motivated, intelligent people are going to come work for a trumpet playing jackass.