New AD- John Currie.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Feb 28, 2017.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Love the "who ya gunna git?" argument to justify keeping a shitty coach.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Worth noting that Bama's coaching carousel produced better teams than anything Butch has ever fielded.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

While Chip Kelly is unemployed

4. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

JG: Highly motivated guys will come if the price is right.
    Kelly was under a show cause for shenanigans at Oregon.
    I think I would still take him.
    Maybe Currie if he is smart...yet to be proven...could craft a retainer fee for Kelly or hire him into some new position and keep him close and off the market until the end of this season.

KPT: Not true about Bama.

TDV: Yes but until they proven they will back up the dump truck full of cash for the safe bet then why trust them. Look I want to get back to the SECCG but 9 wins is better than 4 and 5 win seasons.

Cottton: Thanks I think LOL.

VolDad: didnt the barn get caught courting Petrino when Tubby was there? It shouldn't be public but it could be done. Shoot it could be done with an 8-9 win coach if you want. Fire him after signing day and announce that afternoon that you have Gruden or Kelly already signed. I just dont have faith in the UT system top to bottom on hiring good people.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Allegedly, lots of people are already talking to Kelly. Haven't read anything about Tennessee.

I read somewhere that Gruden won't talk to you until the coaches fate is decided. Not publicly announced, but decided.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2002 or 2005 Bama rolls team Butch has ever coached.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Kelly paired with JG would be nice.

8. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I do have a question for you guys if you know. What is the scoop on Chris Weinke and Helfrich? Why weren't they hired instead of Canales and Scott?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure either was actually a candidate to work for Butch.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Because Butch doesn't want to give up control of the offense. Canales is his buddy and Scott is a first time OC.

Butch has never went very far outside his comfort zone on offense.

I think Helfrich is actually a fairly shitty coach who has ridden the coattails of a lot of good offensive minds.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah Helfrich is nothing special.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Helfrich was here during bowl prep, but after about 15 seconds, I think both realized the other was full of shit.

Weinke was interviewed, but Butch wanted Canales

13. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Can we also put to rest the idea that the head coach position at UT is in danger of being perceived as a coaching carousel?

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll co-sponsor this statement.

15. JayVols

Butch Jones couldn't play dead in a western, western being a metaphor for coaching football in this case.

And yes. I genuinely hate Butch Jones and everything he holds dear.

16. JayVols

I'd rather fall in a pit of vipers while striving for football excellence than settle for the mediocrity, at very best, produced from teams with the best talent we've had in over a decade courtesy of a charlatan whose main talent is being full of meaningless bullshit sayings and whose sole interest is to perpetuate his gravy train paychecks as long as he can before the scales fall off the eyes of the powers that be and they too realize that Jones is an empty suit cliche' machine wrapped in a bag of hippopotamus shit that the entire football world outside of "true fans" sees, correctly I might add, as a national laughingstock, if those powers that be are even capable of seeing that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's a lot of words, but none of them tell me who we're gunna git. Best to stick with Jones cause it could be worse. He'll win 7 or 8 every year, we should be happy.

18. JayVols

You convinced me. Haha

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Knew you'd come around, JonesVols.

20. JayVols

That's a bridge too far.

You're officially on notice.....