POLITICS NRA in financial trouble, per the NRA

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Aug 3, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The idea for the akins accelerator, rhe bump stock, came about in 1996 and didn't get to market until a while later. Banned in 2005, but similar products with the loading springs were not and are still legal. They did not exist for the vast majority of a liberally defined childhood, and certainly weren't popular until the 2000's

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A brick is a piece of construction equipment. Its purpose, or intent, is to be construction equipment. When it is used for its intent, it is construction equipment.

A blow gun, of which a spit wad is a type, has a purpose that is: to be a weapon. When it is used, what can it be, but not a weapon?

So you want to add in injury, or potential injury? Probably potential injury.

So we have to have a discussion on what injury is. It's getting complicated, quick.

3. fl0at_

The hell-fire trigger, which has the same purpose as a bump stock, which is to make a semi-automatic weapon approach an automatic did exist. Hell, it was used in at least one mass shooting. They were popular. How do you think I know about them? I know people who had them in the 80s.

You didn't know about them. But that's an awareness thing. Not an existence thing.

4. fl0at_

I didn't even know what a bump stock was until a few years (1 year?) ago, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist, weren't used. As you say they came about in the 2000s. I have no idea.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

We can discuss whatever, but I am still back at bricks and spitwads. Is there some specific modification to a plastic straw that makes it become a blow gun that is distinctly more involved than a brick becoming a bludgeon?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya. Let's look at sales and see how that looks for the 00's and 10's vs 80's and 90's. That should settle it.

7. fl0at_

No, but there is a shift in purpose of the object.

When you take a plastic straw and turn it into a blowgun, you've said the purpose of this object is to be a blowgun. Ie: a weapon. When you take a brick, and turn it into a wall, you've said the purpose of this object is to be a wall. Ie: not a weapon.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you busting my balls, here? "Purpose" is an abstraction.

9. fl0at_

Sales of what? Items? Guns? Our population has grown.

But that still doesn't alter ABILITY. The ability is still the same (you can get it) because he restrictions are still the same (none).

Availability and restriction are not the same thing. One is supply and demand, or economic, and the other is government.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's never been easier, though. It can come in pieces to your door.

We can control for population

11. fl0at_

Are you arguing with yourself, or am I misunderstanding?

12. fl0at_

How is that different than how it was done in the 80s when it was purchased via catalog?

It is faster now. But that doesn't mean easier.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You said it becomes a weapon when the purpose changes. That's the same thing as saying the concept is abstract. Same.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can readily shop around, contact support... why am I even bothering? You believe ordering from a catalogue is easier than online? Okay. Sears ain't amazon but okay.

15. fl0at_

Abstraction is thought, its belief, it doesn't exist. Purpose is reality. They are as different as can be.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

In what unit can I measure purpose?

17. fl0at_

Define difficulty, so we can know what that means. I define maximum difficult as something that cannot be done. I cannot buy weapons through a catalog, or online, and have them shipped to my door. But we have been able to in my lifetime. Thus, maximum difficulty.

I could go to a store and submit a background check and obtain that weapon, so long as there aren't any waiting periods, and I have all the proper paperwork. But I define that as more difficult than just being able to go buy one at a store, and not have to do those things.

I could order magazines, and slings, and scopes and such from my catalog and have them shipped to my door. In terms of difficulty, I see that as pretty equivalent to filling out the order form on a text box on a screen. Maybe you have autofill. I don't know, but that deals with fastness, not ease.

But even if we decide and define that an online order is easier than a catalog order, it is marginal. Marginal. Vs the other two things that are no where near marginal differences in difficulty.

18. fl0at_

For bricks, I think there is some kind of a crush ratio, since their purpose is construction. But we can turn it to something more solid, like "bridge ability." Reinforced concrete is probably 100% bridge. But a brick for a school is probably like 10% bridge. We could do it, if we set our minds to it.

Don't confuse lack of for inability. There is no need. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

19. fl0at_

But made simpler:

What unit can I use to measure unit? If the argument is that units are required to differentiate abstract vs not.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Physical properties are not purposes