Obama Administration to ask for $1 billion in debt relief for Egypt

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Sep 13, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Works for me. We can close bases in Germany, Bulgaria, Italy, Japan, Guam, and others as well.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

well then, I think we have struck a compromise. I can live with that. No aid, no presence. If we need oil that badly, we can always save travel costs and invade Canada.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I actually had a dream a few nights/weeks ago that we actually were close to declaring war over Canada because of an oil pipeline from Alaska they would not allow.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Can't talk about dreams on this site. I learned the hard way.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just don't tell about dreams about other members Trivia Man.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Vols can't lose in dreams

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How are you equating aid to commercial purchases of oil by companies like Exxon, Mobile, etc?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It varies so much by individual, city, and region. There are places I couldn't go without seriously risking bad things. There were other places where I might as well have been in Lisbon or Madrid.

There are certain contexts that change things as well. Certain subjects and the like.

If you walked through the ME wearing an American flag t shirt and blue jeans, trouble would find you like sharks find a bleeding swimmer. But there are still a lot of other less dangerous fish in the sea.

I don't have the view that we "deserve" or have invited the trouble we get. Bu some of these people feel our society is a threat to their world view and way of life. And they are right, we are. We stand for equality, liberty, free markets and the end of social/religious taboos being any more significant than an eye roll or under the breath muttering. The US is a living organism with tendrils all around the globe. It and its citizens are always doing good, bad, and indifferent activities for all sorts of reasons and motivations. Yet, we are viewed as a monolith.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't mean to. I was just attempting a joke.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is the ostrich response to reality. The ME is effectively cave people being whipped into a frenzy because we aren't. You don't have to like it and you can make excuses until you're blue in the face, but it won't change that this is just international class warfare being fueled by the despots in the ME bent on retaining power.

You can hold out hope all you'd like, but calling it anything else is just academic blather.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anything that isn't an absurd reduction is academic blather. Got it.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Not trying to oversimplify the situation but last time I checked we're in debt up to our eyeballs as it is. Why would/should we be considering loaning money we don't have to another country?

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I see your point. Just to clatify, we already loaned it and he wants to say, "Nevermind, don't worry about paying us back".

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Gotcha, either way the point still stands.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Excellent question. Politicians would tell us that national funds/debt are different than personal ones.

I could see forgiving interest, but the loan itself...

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Sounds good to me. Why we throw money at a bunch of people who think we are jerks anyway is beyond me.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If Israel starts a war, I can understand this.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Not a member of the royals or related. His father was the chief contractor for the royals and became a close, personal friend of the king. His children went to school with some royals.

UBL's story is a bit weird though because he was raised separately from a lot of the family.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

"starts a war." Kind of subjective.