Obama just got punked

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 3, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pretty sure I've stated I am left-leaning these days and see things more in line with Obama than not. In this thread. Within the last 15 posts, probably.

These pants aren't going to unzip themselves.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

As I said before, there is little doubt in my mind that there are plenty of romney supporters in that 47% who don't know it.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was (am) saying that there are plenty in that 47 % that Romney would identify as not fitting the label he gave that group. When he dropped that phrase, he generalized too much. That's what I have always argued about his comment. Why it is being argued that I said something more than that is beyond me.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the only argument i've seen is that some (about 50%) in that group pay payroll taxes which is really social security tax. I've never seen an argument that they actually pay income tax.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some of those folks disabled or elderly.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup or students with jobs. Certainly not paying thier fair share, but it could of course be argued that the elderly paid their fair share over their lifetime. But with social security, pensions, and 401k distrubutions taxable as ordinary income and the elderly having far fewer deductions than the young, it stands to reason that those elderly paying zero income taxes weren't high tax payers when working. but I agree romney's point doesn't stand there.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would could argue that students are (theoretically) raising their future earning potential and will be contributing an even larger share due to investing in their own future later. Also, if they are paying social security one has to at least acknowledge that they are paying into a system they will NEVER see the benefit of.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Agreed.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Oh, that's interesting. I wasn't aware that if you are left or right leaning that it causes you to take two virtually identical situations and analyze them totally differently solely based on who said it. But, I'm glad you've recognized that your analysis is totally biased and should be ignored.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It was clear who Romney was referring to and it wasn't the elderly or disabled. The "47%" was obviously a figure of speech.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You specifically said Romney doesn't care about 47% of America. If you remember otherwise, you need to go back and look it up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

What? That's shocking.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because worry and care are radically different.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you read my posts on the subject yet?

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They are when you are clearly talking about worrying over getting someone to vote for you.